Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question...

Had to do an emergency stop as some dumba** ran a red light, saw him out of the corner of my eye. I was going about 50 when I saw him, grabbed the brakes as the Bronco next to me went into a skid so did I. The back started to slide out to my right but with a lean I got it straight up again and stopped about two feet into the intersection as the a**hole blasted right in front of me...then the car behind me had to steer around me so he wouldn't hit me from behind. Gotta love kids in high school with their tricked out Honda Civics -- guess red lights don't count for them. Anyhow, I was riding yesterday and the bike felt loose around turns so when I got home I put it up on the lift and all bolts seem good, nothing looks funny or is loose. The rear tire has what looks to be a cut on it about 3 to 4 inches across. It doesn't seem all that deep, I was wondering if it was from where I locked it up and maybe the heat started to peal away some of the rubber. I have about 7000 miles on this tire and I'm wondering if I should just replace it to be safe or if it's not deep just ride it. Anyone had anything like this happen?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts
Default RE: Tire Question...

First of all, kudos to you for escaping that nightmare scenario. Also, I am guessing that once the back end began to slide you did NOT release the rear brake. Kudos again, because if you had, that's the classic entry to a high side get-off, which you quite possibly would not have walked away from.

As to the tire, best thing is to take it to a motorcycle tire shop, or to a dealer, and have them take a look at it. It's hard to say where you got the cut, but you really don't want to take any chances--especially with a tire that already has 7000 miles on it. There's only two tiny tire patches between you and the road, and I sure wouldn't want one of them to be compromised in any way.

Finally, while the bozo in the Civic was clearly in the wrong, I'd think twice before riding through an intersection at 50 mph no matter whether the light's green or not. Good catch with the peripheral vision, though!

Philip

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer

Thanks for the info - that's what I was thinking -- I'll take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it. The trippy part is that the road I was on is a 55 MPH speed limit and I usually do about that when I'm on it, but I was just in the mood to cruise and so I was keeping in the slow lane at 50! I immediately thought of my MSF class when the wheel locked up and just kept it in a skid - trippy again how that stuff comes to you! I feel OK sliding as I raced moto-cross for 15 years so I'm used to weird stuff happening on the bike, but this one tested my nerves that's for sure. One thing I do is always cover my brakes and clutch when I'm near an intersection...can't say enough how much it helped two days ago! Thanks again for the post....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hundred fifty or so bucks for a new tire now, sure seems better than that tire going out on the highway..

Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fightn_Tiger
Hundred fifty or so bucks for a new tire now, sure seems better than that tire going out on the highway..
I have to go along with that, its cheap insurance. Besides what happens if you leave it on there and something like that happens again? I mean the odds on it happening in the same spot are thousands to one, but if it was my bike, I KNOW exactly where that spot is going toend up when the wheel locks up.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Stevenml155
Tourer

have an appt set for Friday morning to drop off the bike for a new tire.Better safe than sorry. Thanks again all....

Old 01-26-2007, 08:53 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace it. Some people don't get much more than that on a tire with out a cut in it. I'd be watching for the punk that ran the light and showing up with a bill. Even if the kid won't pay, it would probably give him a little heart burn with his mommy and daddy!
Payback's a bitch.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

mopardave,
"Just" show up with a bill? I would have figured you for astaple it to his forehead type.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Reminds me of the class....both brakes, clutch and shifting down to 1st gear....had a few of those rear slides myself....always seems to be more frequent when its time to replace the rear tire.....maybe that was your sign!