Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Mark Hoelzel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail-specific hard bags - making my own

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and thought this would be an interesting first post. I've been a long time reader, any time I have questions or need some info, this forum is the first place I turn. That being said, I'd like to contribute something of my own for once.

I've seen a lot of baggertail conversions on this site, as well as people debating the best saddlebags, where to buy them, etc. etc. I'm a fan of the touring style hard bags, for their looks. However, on softail models which do not have traditional style shocks, the bags look out of place (in my opinion).

I've done much research on fiberglassing and diy projects, and I'm not afraid to try something new, so I figured why not? I'm going to make my own saddlebags.

I'll start by saying that I bought a set of aftermarket saddlebags from ebay, and was mortified by the horrible quality of what I received (auction was titled Aftermarket Harley Bagger Wide Saddlebags). The auction stated they were "wider than stock, 8" wide fits most 1/2 helmets, but what I received was almost 13" wide, and the lids did not fit, nor were they even close. I chopped about 3" out of the middle of the bags, fiberglassed them back together, and they looked OK, but the lids were a project and a half, so I went a different direction.

I decided, why do softail owners have to deal with the shock cutouts indented in the bags? Why can't there be softail-specific hard bags, that look the same as the touring bags, but without the shock grooves? So, I set out to make my own.

Instead of making simply one set and being done, I decided I was going to take a different approach - With fiberglassing parts, you first must make a plug (the same dimensions and shape as the finished product) then make a mould from the plug, followed by (nearly) unlimited copies of the original part from the plug. Depending how my bags turn out, I may be selling these saddlebags online. I'm designing these bags to accept the factory hardware, as well as mount on traditional softail hard bag brackets, so they will look as close to the original bags as possible. They will also accept lid rails and bag guards if desired.

So, that lengthy explanation aside, here's where I'm at so far. Glad to be part of the HDforums community, and wish me luck!

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own-img_20120923_221306.jpgPlywood, 2x6, and a cardboard box. Some pegboard to make the classic ridge on traditional bags

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own-img_20120923_223611.jpg Bondo, bondo, bondo

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own-img_20120923_221316.jpg Inside, building up structure for the initial shape of the bags (for the plug, the outside shape is all that matters)

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own-img_20120923_235049.jpg BODY ENHANCING PUTTY!!! (bondo)

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own-img_20120924_005220.jpg put some fiberglass on to smooth out curves and for some reinforcement. Eventually, all of the bag will be covered in fiberglass, followed by more bondo, tons of block sanding, some curves, and then gelcoat, followed by wax, wax, and more wax.

Comments/suggestions are encouraged! Thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

interesting can't wait to see them done

Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are a brave man Sir, Hope they work out for you.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM
prldrm
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to watching your progress. Valid points on the bags available for softails...making it hard for me decide between hard or leather bags. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
jetmech74
Tourer

suscribing....

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, so far ya got my interest.
Subscribing also.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM
vulcanater
Road Captain

Great idea! Looking forward to the finished product.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 24 Posts

subscribed! Might get in line if they turn out well!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, one thing that people miss is the back of a good set of bags is molded to fit closer to your bike. The Boss bags I just got are a hard fiberglass molded shell covered in leather. Best of both worlds.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed & good luck, I have to see how this turns out!!

Quick Reply: Softail-specific hard bags - making my own