Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail-specific hard bags - making my own

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'll look forward to seeing the finished product as well

Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some vintage early 70s bags off ebay with original brackets for less than 200 bucks 5 years ago. wasnt hard to adapt them to my 97 heritage at all. those bags dont have the shock cutouts either.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hoelzel
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and thought this would be an interesting first post. I've been a long time reader, any time I have questions or need some info, this forum is the first place I turn. That being said, I'd like to contribute something of my own for once.

I've seen a lot of baggertail conversions on this site, as well as people debating the best saddlebags, where to buy them, etc. etc. I'm a fan of the touring style hard bags, for their looks. However, on softail models which do not have traditional style shocks, the bags look out of place (in my opinion).

I've done much research on fiberglassing and diy projects, and I'm not afraid to try something new, so I figured why not? I'm going to make my own saddlebags.

I'll start by saying that I bought a set of aftermarket saddlebags from ebay, and was mortified by the horrible quality of what I received (auction was titled Aftermarket Harley Bagger Wide Saddlebags). The auction stated they were "wider than stock, 8" wide fits most 1/2 helmets, but what I received was almost 13" wide, and the lids did not fit, nor were they even close. I chopped about 3" out of the middle of the bags, fiberglassed them back together, and they looked OK, but the lids were a project and a half, so I went a different direction.

I decided, why do softail owners have to deal with the shock cutouts indented in the bags? Why can't there be softail-specific hard bags, that look the same as the touring bags, but without the shock grooves? So, I set out to make my own.

Instead of making simply one set and being done, I decided I was going to take a different approach - With fiberglassing parts, you first must make a plug (the same dimensions and shape as the finished product) then make a mould from the plug, followed by (nearly) unlimited copies of the original part from the plug. Depending how my bags turn out, I may be selling these saddlebags online. I'm designing these bags to accept the factory hardware, as well as mount on traditional softail hard bag brackets, so they will look as close to the original bags as possible. They will also accept lid rails and bag guards if desired.

So, that lengthy explanation aside, here's where I'm at so far. Glad to be part of the HDforums community, and wish me luck!

Comments/suggestions are encouraged! Thanks!
Well i've done some novice glass work myself, and let me tell ya it's MESSY, very time intensive and challenging ! I give you a high five for taking this DIY on bro ! Good luck !

Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Mark Hoelzel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
I bought some vintage early 70s bags off ebay with original brackets for less than 200 bucks 5 years ago. wasnt hard to adapt them to my 97 heritage at all. those bags dont have the shock cutouts either.
Bags can be had on ebay for pretty inexpensive, however I'm not crazy about the rear-latch style bags. I like the clean, finished look of the side latch bags, but don't like the shock indents in the HD bags.

That being said, I'd like to thank everyone for their support and interest in this. Unfortunately, it's a very long, slow, arduous process which is going to take lots of time to finish. Assuming I ever get these finished and have a working prototype, it's probably going to be at least early next year before I'd have a set for sale. I am pretty dedicated to getting these done, however, I don't exactly have the time or funding to work on these as often as I'd like (working 3rd shift plus saturdays at an iron foundry, it's hard work and I sleep for most of the day lol).

So, thanks again for the support, and I'll keep you guys updated as I make more progress. I added some new glass today, shaped out the latch cutouts, and lined the latches up. So far, so good. 1/3 of one bag completed, 1 bag and 2 lids to go.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

God luck man. Add me to the watch list.