Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal shavings in primary

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012 | 06:25 PM
goats
|
Road Captain
Default metal shavings in primary

2011 blackline, 24k service

i changed my primary fluid and found a disturbing (to me) amount of shavings on the magnet including a couple of long pieces, have never seen that much on there before. and the oil seemed dirtier than usual.

i have run amsoil 20/50 since the second fluid change and i have done more changes than what is called for, always adjust clutch according to schedule and manual

i have been running it much harder than usual in the last few thousand k... that includes a couple of burnouts just to see if i could, didnt dump the clutch just feathered it out with a high rev (this was on dry pavement with stock tires in good condition)

those are all the things i have done good or bad that i can recall.

my question to you... what could the metal be from? and what should i be looking at if anything after seeing this?

seems fine after the fluid change and clutch adjustment, meaning i cant feel any problems with it (tho it does feel and sound better). i was thinking i might change fluid after a thousand or so kilometers just to see if there is any new metal.

Last edited by goats; 09-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2012 | 10:05 PM
roofgunner
Cruiser

The oil would get "dirty" and have an oder due to clutch plate wear which is normal and the more wear you put on the plates (by the way you ride) would determine how dirty or discolored the oil gets. The metal pieces could come from anywhere in the case. I ran Amsoil 20-50 in my 07 and after about 20K the magnet had only a very little pasty bit of microscopic metal on it at 54k.

Old 09-18-2012 | 10:09 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

A lot of metal on metal contact it the primary. Ive had some splinters too early on but it ended up being nothing. Keep an eye on it. Its probably just break in material. Take a picture next time.

Old 09-18-2012 | 10:39 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

As long as you don't smell burning or see brass-colored metal shavings (or worse yet, chunks), you should be okay.

Old 09-18-2012 | 10:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
As long as you don't smell burning or see brass-colored metal shavings (or worse yet, chunks), you should be okay.
Where is there brass in the primary?

Old 09-19-2012 | 07:38 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Where is there brass in the primary?
Not saying there is. All I know is that an indy mechanic near me showed the "shavings" out of a primary with a blown main shaft bearing awhile back and some of it seemed to have a distinct brassy tint to it...

Old 09-19-2012 | 07:46 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Not saying there is. All I know is that an indy mechanic near me showed the "shavings" out of a primary with a blown main shaft bearing awhile back and some of it seemed to have a distinct brassy tint to it...
Dont think there it any but the first shade of heated metal is yellow and when something goes thats what you see. fwiw

Old 09-19-2012 | 08:57 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012 | 11:58 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by goats
2011 blackline, 24k service

i have been running it much harder than usual in the last few thousand k... that includes a couple of burnouts just to see if i could, didnt dump the clutch just feathered it out with a high rev (this was on dry pavement with stock tires in good condition) those are all the things i have done good or bad that i can recall.
It's possible that shaving has been in the primary since day 1........lodged in some corner of the housing and the subtle change in oil pressure or vibration due to riding conditions (running it harder) /burnout caused it to break free and the magnet finally picked it up. Could also be material left over from threading (tapping) the drain hole in the primary and it broke free when you pulled the drain plug. Keep checking the plug!

Old 09-19-2012 | 12:00 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

It's not uncommon to use bronze in bushings. That would give a yellowish tint.

http://www.atlasbronze.com/cast_bron...FcV7QgodyDQA1Q

Last edited by STLFLSTF_Mike; 09-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: metal shavings in primary