Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal shavings in primary

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012 | 12:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
It's not uncommon to use bronze in bushings. That would give a yellowish tint.

http://www.atlasbronze.com/cast_bron...FcV7QgodyDQA1Q
There are no bronze bushings in the primary. fwiw.

Old 09-19-2012 | 07:01 PM
goats
|
Road Captain

first off i would like to thank everyone for responding thus far.

i wish i had taken a picture...hindsight eh :-)

i am not a gentle rider by any means, i dont hesitate to hit the backroads (unless i just washed her) or even go off road (what biker bash is on the pavement, none that i have been to)
having said that i dont spank the **** outta her every ride either.

the only ''performance'' mods i have done is drill holes in the stock backplate and a half inch hole in each exhaust, as a result i can and do hit higher rpms than i used to (did these things a little while ago) just before doing this fluid change i added x14ieds to rich en up the fuel as i thought the plugs to be a little on the white side.

i may have come close a few times but i have never hit the rev limiter

so far i am very glad to hear it may be shavings from break in just now finding the magnet as opposed to 'OMG its gonna explode!!'

on pay day i will indeed change fluid again just to see if anything new has happened, by then i will have somewhere between 1500 and 2000 km on it since changing the fluid.
thanks everyone....kinda puts my mind at ease

Old 12-29-2012 | 03:59 PM
cessna75
Advanced

Goat, I ran into the same thing today. Just dumped all three of my fluids on my 2011 Limited. I bought it used from my neighbor with 977 miles back in June and he just had the oil changed at the dealer. Today with 4,239 miles on it is the first time I'm aware of the primary fluid has been changed.

Did yours look like this? Does anyone think this is also just "break-in" crud?

Note - even thought they look like long strings/chunks, when I touched them with my finger they are just strings of fine metalic powder.

Old 12-29-2012 | 04:16 PM
griffon
Novice

But bronze or brass won't collect on the magnet, so if you are seeing any yellow color stuck to the magnet it usually is hot steel or iron.

If everything is running ok just check again in a couple hundred k.

griff

Old 12-29-2012 | 04:22 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Does your bike grind or kick back during hot restarts? Both the ring and starter gear take a beating when starting the bike hot if you've got those symptoms.

Old 12-29-2012 | 04:51 PM
LimitedLou
Tourer

I had a 2010 FLHTK Limited, went through 3 compansary sprokets, On my changing primary fluid the magnet was full of particles. Not sure if the softails have same comp sproket as the touring... If so then that's my guess where all shavings are from...

Old 12-30-2012 | 09:03 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer

I've seen this before ......when i swapped out the stock compensator assembly for a SE kit . the stock gear was worn quite a bit and I remember the loud knocks when starting or shifting into first gear .....all of the noises went away with the new kit.....and so did most of the metal shavings in the oil . I was using the V twin Mobil 1 synthetic and am now using the Amsoil . I cannot confirm 100% if this was the cause of the metal shavings I saw ....but I do know it has dropped off substancially since the change over .

The following users liked this post:
Tampa Fatboy (11-05-2021)
Old 12-30-2012 | 09:15 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Possibly, a weak battery can make for a hard start and starter gear disenguage which is hard on the gears.

Old 12-30-2012 | 09:29 AM
LimitedLou
Tourer

Originally Posted by professorzoogy
I've seen this before ......when i swapped out the stock compensator assembly for a SE kit . the stock gear was worn quite a bit and I remember the loud knocks when starting or shifting into first gear .....all of the noises went away with the new kit.....and so did most of the metal shavings in the oil . I was using the V twin Mobil 1 synthetic and am now using the Amsoil . I cannot confirm 100% if this was the cause of the metal shavings I saw ....but I do know it has dropped off substancially since the change over .

Still keep an eye out as I was useing the Amsoil.. Even the new SE kit isn't the answer to this problem. Good Luck

Old 11-04-2021 | 09:18 PM
twistedrcpilot
Stage I

Originally Posted by soft 02
A lot of metal on metal contact it the primary. Ive had some splinters too early on but it ended up being nothing. Keep an eye on it. Its probably just break in material. Take a picture next time.

This is concerning. There appears to be a staple in there.

Quick Reply: metal shavings in primary