Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012 | 01:09 PM
oct1949
|
Club Member
Default Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them

After 200 miles I have to say I am really pleased with them..

I rode the first 50 solo and since I have my shocks set firm for 2 Up riding I thought they were a little harsher riding..

For the last 150 miles now I've had the wife on the rear and I still think they are a little firmer riding vs the Lops 401's.

I just looked up the Max load of both tires to see how much different they are.
The new Commander's are rated for 908 lbs
The Lops 401's are rated for 761lbs.

So the side walls have to be heavier and therefore a "LITTLE" stiffer, thus the firmer ride..

Still with the ride being just a "LITTLE" firmer, the overall Handling and Stability (No wandering over un-level roads) plus the road feel/feedback is better and makes this tire overall, IMO, BETTER.

Now if we get the Mileage out of them that's being claimed by Michelin,, Then that will really put the icing on the cake.

Anyone else think they give a little stiffer ride or about the same ?

Old 09-13-2012 | 01:30 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I have about 1500 miles on my rear Commander II and love it. Just put 1000 miles on a trip to Black Hills. I think the correct term is firm for me. The one I have is an 77 rated as compared to the 'Lop 71. Love the way it goes in to a lean and seems to stick. I'm not much of a rain rider and tend to take it REAL easy in the wet, but I haven't noticed any problems during my "opportunities" to ride wet. Much happier with this as compared to my last Dunlop.

Old 09-13-2012 | 01:43 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

With a little over 2500 miles on a set, I'm loving them...they do feel a little firmer, but that's not a bad thing considering they don't "walk" and stick like glue when when the boards are throwing sparks. And no sign of wear yet...

A week from Saturday we leave for 8 days and 2500-3000 total round trip with lots of "play time" miles to Arkansas and home and I'll tread measurements before, midway and when we get home and we shall see how they are holding up!

Last edited by Guitardude; 09-13-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Because I can't proof read, either...
Old 09-13-2012 | 01:58 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I purchased a set to replace the 402's on my old Electraglide. After nerly 5 front and 10 rear tires, I decided I was paying too much for tires and wanted to try something different. I liked the advertised twice the mileage for the Commanders but, the first thing I noticed was the Commander II's do not stick as good as the 402's. Southern Indiana backroads have some serious curves and actually found myself off the road and in the grass once on a well known to me curve, 1 mile from my place. The weight rating is the same but I do believe the longer tire wear is the result of a compromise in soft tread compound. Got about 2k mi on the new tires and getting used to the different stick. If I had to compare, I would say they syick very similar to the 404's without the HD logo

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:02 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Well you know my opinion one them... About 1250 kms on them now and still love them. I wanted to see just how much more I trust them then the lops, so took the long way home with a funny corner in it that always made me clinch at 100 kph, and took it today at 115 kph with no thoughts that I was going to fast. My confidence is way up. I love the way they stick. I'll be needing new floorboards soon, lol

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:37 PM
12vanthony
Stage IV

I purchased mine in the spring and have since put over 4000 miles on them, and while they do seem a bit more firm they are worth it. I love them. I have road on wet and dry and tar and chipped asphalt roads and am very pleased with their performance. No sign of wear yet.

Old 09-14-2012 | 10:43 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

I am now wandering if the the higher Max Load that the touring bikes tires have like the Lop's 402 rear - (MU85B-16) Also 908 lbs, could be one of the reasons that a lot of Touring bike owners report in here of getting 12k -15k miles out of their rear tires.

I'll also be doing a trip next week, about 1500 miles. So more to come on how they do.

Thinking so far Michelin has a winner in this tire.

Old 09-14-2012 | 10:55 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

8500 on mine still going strong. Nothing to complain about. Great in the rain and I think they hold the road as good if not better than OEM Dunlop tires.

Old 09-14-2012 | 11:25 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by davidwruth
8500 on mine still going strong. Nothing to complain about. Great in the rain and I think they hold the road as good if not better than OEM Dunlop tires.

That's to know,, doing a 5-6 days ride next week.. praying for good weather. Still as other do, I prefer to ride on dry roads.

Old 09-20-2012 | 12:49 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Rode my '03 Classic 200 miles south, a couple hundred miles on mixed roads including gravel and returned last Sunday, 200 miles interstate and highway. I am convinced the Commanders do not grip as well as the 402's I have been using the last 10 years on this bike. Tight turns were slick, lean angle is drastically reduced, and when I cross a painted line like changing lanes or entering or exiting a ramp, the bike always slips when the tires go over the lines. Michelin suggests careful riding for the first couple hundred miles and afetr a couple thousand miles I have not felt the tires change or grip get better on these Made in Vietnam tires.

Quick Reply: Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them