Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012 | 06:18 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Rode my '03 Classic 200 miles south, a couple hundred miles on mixed roads including gravel and returned last Sunday, 200 miles interstate and highway. I am convinced the Commanders do not grip as well as the 402's I have been using the last 10 years on this bike. Tight turns were slick, lean angle is drastically reduced, and when I cross a painted line like changing lanes or entering or exiting a ramp, the bike always slips when the tires go over the lines. Michelin suggests careful riding for the first couple hundred miles and afetr a couple thousand miles I have not felt the tires change or grip get better on these Made in Vietnam tires.
hmmm , I was made in Veitnam a few times .........still OK

Old 09-20-2012 | 06:28 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Rode my '03 Classic 200 miles south, a couple hundred miles on mixed roads including gravel and returned last Sunday, 200 miles interstate and highway. I am convinced the Commanders do not grip as well as the 402's I have been using the last 10 years on this bike. Tight turns were slick, lean angle is drastically reduced, and when I cross a painted line like changing lanes or entering or exiting a ramp, the bike always slips when the tires go over the lines. Michelin suggests careful riding for the first couple hundred miles and afetr a couple thousand miles I have not felt the tires change or grip get better on these Made in Vietnam tires.
Funny, everything he said is worse, I find better. My lean angle is getting further and further the more I ride this tire. I am sold for sure on them.

Old 09-20-2012 | 07:04 PM
Pudge211
Tourer

I had the commander II's installed and have 300 or so miles on them. I have no problem with grip or notice reduced ability to lean into a turn. Also as I have read the tar snakes in the road dont seem to make the bike wander as much with these tires vs the Dunlops. I'm running a 200mm rear and a 21" up front.

Also I checked the sidewalls and my commanders were made in Spain

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:12 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thailand not Vietnam!

Interesting, Made in Spain seems OK yet I have trouble.... I checked my '03 again and well they are Made in Thailand not Vietnam....Same region wrong country (thought they only made sticks in thailand) Anyway, how many countries are these things made in?

Attached Thumbnails Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them-thailand.jpg   Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them-flhtci.jpg   Commander II's. Thoughts/Opinions on them-flhtci-2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012 | 02:41 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

I had the "pleasure" of riding in the rain for about 40 miles Saturday...one of those slow, steady rains where you are soaked from the knees down and the windshield is a mess. Always check the rear brake first thing to see just how slick it is, and felt just like I was on dry pavement, so got up on the Interestate and pushed up to 80, no issues. Hydroplaned once, but VERY stable even while I eased off the throtle to sink back onto the road.

All in all, I'm happy with them, and after almost 4,000 miles, still no measureable wear.

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:31 PM
bskinheli
Intermediate

Interesting, I was asking a couple of days ago about replacement tires for my Lo, 5500mi on the original rear, a Dunlop, not sure the model #, I liked the way the tire gripped and drove, but not too happy with the wear. Michelin is definitely one of the tires I am planning to look at, think I'll look a bit closer now. For jlasoftail, the roads on "the Island" are just about as good as they are in NS, so I can relate, my first Harley, and yup, they don't have much cornering clearance, my floorboards are down at least 3/8" from cornering, took a bit of getting used to. Cheers

Last edited by bskinheli; 09-21-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: messed up some words
Old 09-24-2012 | 11:31 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Just got back from the 2k trip Saturday.

Totally happy with the Commandor's..

First day out, last Monday, we rode 6 hrs in the rain.. Never once did they feel loose.

During the trip we were on several roads that had the grinder grooves that goes down the road, getting ready for new BlackTop.. and these tire stayed straight and true.. The Lops 401's and 402's would really feel loose on that kind of road conditions.

Over all if U have the Lops with their thread like the 401's and/or 402's, these new Michelin's are worth looking at, U wont be sorry.

Also after riding about 500 miles they started giving a softer ride. like they flexed better on bumps. Really never noticed that on other tires, but I did on these tires.

Last edited by oct1949; 09-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.