Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal? Rear Brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

To update, I spent a bunch of time at the dealership today, because they got me in two-and-a- half hours late for an appointment for a "while you wait" slow tire leak diagnosis and repair. Total time was 4 hours for a freakin' tire leak by the time it was fixed.

Several weeks earlier, I'd asked them if the slop in the rear brake caliper was normal. They didn't know, but offered to take it apart and try to come up with an answer, for a charge.

Today, with way too much time on my hands at the dealership, I checked numerous new bikes in the showroom. The rear calipers all had that slop, so if it's a mistake, it's a mistake that's been going on for about 5 years now.

If anyone's interested, the dealer was Brighton Harley Davidson (in Michigan). There was some other attempted "jacking around" that may have happened too, like trying to charge to take the wheel off the bike to diagnose the leak, and then attempting to stack the total charge for tire replacement on top of the charge for removing the wheel for diagnosis. They want to charge me twice for removing and reinstalling the wheel? That dealership won't be terribly high on my list of valuable resources any more.

What may be even sadder is that my first service experience there was really good. But the highly informed older guy I dealt with in the service department originally, who brought me back to a sense of loyalty after a bad salesroom experience (my wife insisted on buying somewhere else), seems to have been replaced with some less informed young "service hustlers".

Wake up, HD dealers! Most of us have discretionary money (or we wouldn't be in your showrooms in the first place). It doesn't make us idiots.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-03-2012 at 05:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Magneto Man (07-20-2023)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 AM
wilsta67
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bike is the same. its a 2010.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Can anyone else with that caliper check to see if it can be moved up and down quite a bit on the slider bolt closest to the axle?
I have a Slim as well, so naturally this thread grabbed my attention.

I went down and checked mind and there is NO discernible movement at all.
The caliper is nice and tight in all directions...

Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 AM
Cliffy Amo
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default movement in rear caliper 2009 rocker c

so glad to have seen this video and the play in the caliper I have just changed up the rear pads in my 2009 Rocker c and also have the play in the caliper I was worried, never seen that on any Japanese bikes I have owned and worked on!
I have made a video on how or how not too change the pads because I made some errors by not having the correct tools but will post this on my Youtube channel soon!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwS...njWpFestg9U77g
new rear brake pad caliper pin on order! and 12 point socket set!
Regarding the play! I'll live with it!
Cliffy Amo

Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM
cpc0812
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 10 deluxe did the same thing. I upgraded to a PM 4 piston which is one solid piece, caliper and bracket. No more play and better rear braking.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,991 Likes on 4,182 Posts

This little rubber plug lets it move up and down. Should not move in and out. The part over the axle is a spacer under axle torque. You can see it in 2nd picture in slot stop. It could have fallen out. Mine was broke.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
BigSal3rd (05-29-2023)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Docfxfb
Stage I

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
If the OP and I are talking about the same thing, it's not a question about moving in and out on the slider pins, which is normal. It's that there is so much slop between one of the slider pins and the caliper bore, that the caliper can be moved around quite a bit vertically. I have the same caliper as he does.

Can anyone else with that caliper check to see if it can be moved up and down quite a bit on the slider bolt closest to the axle?
I have the same problem on my Dyna Fat Bob 2009! there is a vertical movement of the whole caliper despite the 2 bolts are tight. I noticed that after the brake stuck while I was riding, and when I took it part there is a decent wiggle movement up and down..

Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The calipers are suppose to move a little, hence the name "floating caliper."

softaill22 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 PM
softaill22
Stage I
Exclamation 2014 Softail Same Concern

Hey buddy,
I was hearing a clunk when hit the rear brake (someone cut me off) and decided to investigate. I noticed that my caliper moved vertically along with the rotor. I took the caliper bolts out and checked the rubber gasket and bushings, everything was fine. Come to find out that my bike has "floating calipers" (WTF?). So I looked it up and YES, it is a real thing. I have never heard of it but it is what our bikes are supposed to have. Here's a link to the site:
https://www.bikesmedia.in/reviews/mo...-calipers.html

Originally Posted by dproto09
While cleaning my Slim, I notice the rear caliper moves side to side alittle. I found that weird. I ended up loosing the two mounting bolt on caliper and torque them to the service guide spec 11-14ft lb. Still no change. Is this normal or is something wrong or missing from my rear brake.

Just in case this helps

Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 AM
johnanderson
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Good thread.
My 09 Street Bob rear caliper floats too. Torque is a bit tighter than 28 foot pounds.

Seriously caught my attention as it moved up and down.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Rear Brake caliper