Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new Softail Slim Won't Start & blinking indicators

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 08:38 AM
twrslimrider
|
Stage II
Default Brand new Softail Slim Won't Start & blinking indicators

Hi ... I'm new here. I just bought a new Softail Slim and have started it fine a few times. Three times now it has failed to start and multiple indicator lights are blinking. The bike does not have a security system or a key fob (so please no suggestions regarding key fobs and security systems!). Has anyone had similar problems starting a Softail slim? Specifically what is happenning is that, upon swithcing the ignition to ON, the dash lights blink, the Neutral indicator blinks and the check engine light blinks. Went through the whole start up routine multiple times, waited 10 minutes and then tried again, made sure I was doing it in the sequence recommended in the owners manual, etc. But nothing I do is working and it won't start. It's a brand new bike with a brand new battery and the gas tank is full. Help!

Old 09-12-2012 | 08:46 AM
Jesla
Outstanding HDF Member

Haven't had any issues with mine......time for you to make a trip to the dealer or call them to pick up the bike......bummer.

Let us know what they find......

Old 09-12-2012 | 08:49 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Same thing happened to me until I realized my security key 'thingy' was in the house.

The following users liked this post:
Hellbilly562 (03-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2012 | 08:52 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

You could try to pull the main fuse or disconnect the battery for a while, then reconnect and see if it it starts. But since it's a brand new bike, I'd call the dealer. Warranty. No point messing with it.

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:25 AM
twrslimrider
|
Stage II

Thanks for the replies! I called the dealer and they're going to come and pick it up. I just got it on Sat -- bummer.

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:59 AM
cantex
Novice

My 2012 fatboy did something like this with 500 miles on it. There was a voltage regulator recall... Not sure if this is your issue. Dealer picked bike up for free (stuck at a gas station) They changed the regulator and gave me a new battery. Been fine since.

Old 09-12-2012 | 11:36 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by twrslimrider
Hi ... I'm new here. I just bought a new Softail Slim and have started it fine a few times. Three times now it has failed to start and multiple indicator lights are blinking. The bike does not have a security system or a key fob (so please no suggestions regarding key fobs and security systems!). Has anyone had similar problems starting a Softail slim? Specifically what is happenning is that, upon swithcing the ignition to ON, the dash lights blink, the Neutral indicator blinks and the check engine light blinks. Went through the whole start up routine multiple times, waited 10 minutes and then tried again, made sure I was doing it in the sequence recommended in the owners manual, etc. But nothing I do is working and it won't start. It's a brand new bike with a brand new battery and the gas tank is full. Help!

Originally Posted by Josewales
Same thing happened to me until I realized my security key 'thingy' was in the house.

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:04 PM
GeeRam
Tourer

Originally Posted by cantex
My 2012 fatboy did something like this with 500 miles on it. There was a voltage regulator recall... Not sure if this is your issue. Dealer picked bike up for free (stuck at a gas station) They changed the regulator and gave me a new battery. Been fine since.
I was told about this regulator recal when I collected my new Slim at the weekend, and I'd be getting a call to bring the bike back in in a few weeks time for it to be changed.

Old 09-15-2012 | 03:25 PM
cantex
Novice

Originally Posted by GeeRam
I was told about this regulator recal when I collected my new Slim at the weekend, and I'd be getting a call to bring the bike back in in a few weeks time for it to be changed.
Mine started with the battery light coming on when I was riding. If you see that...don't go too far from home....

Old 09-17-2012 | 08:42 AM
doudard
Stage I

Hi there,
I am having the exact same problem on my softail slim. I went back to the dealer twice already, they've changed the battery, but the problem came back 3 weeks later. The dealership is now telling me that the issue must be coming from my battery tender...
Let me know if you're getting a different answer.
thanks

Quick Reply: Brand new Softail Slim Won't Start & blinking indicators