Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new Softail Slim Won't Start & blinking indicators

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013 | 08:02 PM
Jashley951
Stage I
Default Same Problem

Bought a 2013 Slim 3 weeks ago, put 450 miles on it and the same thing happened.

I rode it 15 miles round trip to the bank yesterday and parked it. Upon start up this morning all I heard was a loud clicking noise but the engine didn't fire. Immediately after I noticed my high beams and emergency flashers were on.

Called the dealer, they said it sounded like battery problems and recommended I put it on a tender overnight and call them to pick it up if it doesn't start in the am.

I took off my seat to find the pigtail and noticed the positive side was not fastened to the cell. I reattached the pigtail and connected it to the charger.

Only time will tell...

Last edited by Jashley951; 06-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2013 | 09:20 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

When I was test riding a 2013 Slim at the dealer the turn signals front and back were flashing non stop. The bike started and ran fine but the dealer could not figure out how to shut off the blinking lights

Old 03-12-2017 | 08:24 PM
Jacob Hamilton
Stage I
Default Same

Originally Posted by Jashley951
Bought a 2013 Slim 3 weeks ago, put 450 miles on it and the same thing happened.

I rode it 15 miles round trip to the bank yesterday and parked it. Upon start up this morning all I heard was a loud clicking noise but the engine didn't fire. Immediately after I noticed my high beams and emergency flashers were on.

Called the dealer, they said it sounded like battery problems and recommended I put it on a tender overnight and call them to pick it up if it doesn't start in the am.

I took off my seat to find the pigtail and noticed the positive side was not fastened to the cell. I reattached the pigtail and connected it to the charger.

Only time will tell...
same problem here man. How did it turn out for you and did you figure out your problem?

Old 03-13-2017 | 12:02 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jacob Hamilton
Originally Posted by Jashley951

Only time will tell...
same problem here man. How did it turn out for you and did you figure out your problem?
Jacob,

Welcome to the forum from central Texas.

You responded to a four year old thread. The post you quoted was Jashley951's first and only post. I doubt he will respond to your question but he did state the problem; I took off my seat to find the pigtail and noticed the positive side was not fastened to the cell.

For us to help, what year and model bike do you have and state, in detail, what problems you are having. Remember, we can't see your bike so you have to describe what is going on.

Now, if your bike is new and under warranty, let the dealer take care of it if you can't figure it out or fix it.

Old 03-14-2017 | 04:34 PM
25-06
Advanced

Yikes! As the owner of a new Slim myself, this does not sound good. Mine's got the security system (FOB), and fortunately, I've not yet experienced any such troubles, but I'm struggling to see how the "battery tender" could be the problem, as apparently alleged by one of the dealers mentioned here? A regulator, yes, but battery tender? Presumably, if the motor is turning over, then the state of the battery charge (and the battery tender) would not be the issue. That's just non-sensical in my view.

Last edited by 25-06; 03-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2017 | 04:43 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Josewales
Same thing happened to me until I realized my security key 'thingy' was in the house.
Yeah.....that "thingy" thing......sometimes I forget mine too...

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Jacob,

Welcome to the forum from central Texas.

You responded to a four year old thread. The post you quoted was Jashley951's first and only post. I doubt he will respond to your question but he did state the problem; I took off my seat to find the pigtail and noticed the positive side was not fastened to the cell.

For us to help, what year and model bike do you have and state, in detail, what problems you are having. Remember, we can't see your bike so you have to describe what is going on.

Now, if your bike is new and under warranty, let the dealer take care of it if you can't figure it out or fix it.

I wonder if trying to start it with the pin-code would work......

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2017 | 01:31 PM
25-06
Advanced

Any new developments on this topic? I'll be curious to know if there is a model-wide issue on this for the Slim or whether a potential recall is on the horizon.

Old 03-16-2017 | 03:55 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

Loose nuts behind the handlebars more than likely.

Old 04-30-2017 | 08:49 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bamjoop
Loose nuts behind the handlebars more than likely.
Its the connection between the seat and the handlebars...common problem!

Old 04-30-2017 | 09:04 PM
STS
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 25-06
Any new developments on this topic? I'll be curious to know if there is a model-wide issue on this for the Slim or whether a potential recall is on the horizon.

So far after 5,000 miles my Slim has been fine. Bought new a year ago. No security option either.

Quick Reply: Brand new Softail Slim Won't Start & blinking indicators