Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S super E pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default S&S super E pros and cons

Ok, I'm considering pulling the trigger on a new carb for my twin cam 88", 2005 FXST, let me get a collective opinion on the super E, seems like a no brainier for performance gain. I'm installing S&S 255 cams as well.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

Buy a Mikuni hsr easy kit. The s&s is a tractor carb. They just aren't as tunable. If you buy both and try them, I guarantee you will return the super e.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Lol.... A tractor carb, never heard that. I've had them before, I just thought they were really user friendly, but I agree about tuning them

Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I have run a number of S&S carbs and love them. Simple to work on and they last decades. When the CV on my Low Rider pooped out, I bought one of these from Dale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...f5e36d&vxp=mtr

Its a hand built carb, set up and tuned perfectly for your particular engine. Absolutely flawless. Came 100% ready to bolt on and ran stellar. Just another thought.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
shitbox
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The super E is a great carb. You can have it off the bike dismantled and cleaned in about 20 minutes. Also S&S is made in the USA. Mikuni and CVs are not.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

A Super E will work fine, lots of people use them and are satisfied. You will need a new manifold and air cleaner also. 60's design. It has 3 tuning circuits; idle mixture, intermediate jet, main jet, and an (since 2004) adjustable air bleed to determine when the main jet takes over.

A Mikuni HSR uses the stock manifold, choke, and air cleaner. It has 5 tunable circuits, idle mixture, pilot jet, needle diameter, needle postion, and main jet. It will produce a flatter a/f curve and better mileage than an S&S Super, that I will guarantee.

I have tried, and owned several S&S Super E's, and ended up selling them all for Mikuni's. If you are worried about the "made in the USA" part, I suggest you don't look where a huge number of parts on your bike are made. You will sadly see almost every add on part is made in Tiawan or China. Go to the dealer and look at the packages hanging on the wall...

There is a reason HD ditched the butterfly style carb like the S&S. They just don't work as well as a variable venturi type.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Hmmmm, well, I've looked at the SE 42mm (too pricey and it looks like a pain), the S&S and not the easy as mentioned above. I may just stick with good ole' mikuni..... Cheaper and seems to have a better rep..... I'll miss the S&S easy of use though...... eBay, here i come

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I like cv carbs there about as close as you can get to a fi. There's many mods you can do In your garage in little time. I have a slide and jet kit. I also used my mini grinder to radius the slide and many of the casted edges. I also put an adjustable "throttle acuated jet bulb"(drawling a blank on the name). The float bowl also got a drain plug for removal of the main jet. Also smoothed out manifold to match carb. I've took good working s&s super e s off two older sportster and made mounts and different manifolds so I can put one of my cv carbs on them, then I sold the carbs on eBay laughing all the way to bank on my better riding 83 sporty and 88(both sold). I have a 05 softail I wouldn't put a s&s on it. Also a cv is better when riding in the northeast mountains this time of year in my opinion. You might get a little more at high rPms with a super e if you can tune it. I also believe that there a different models of the suPer e. one is lacking an adjustible vacuum(correct me if I am wrong). Cv is better throughout all your driving conditions. I would save the money and put in cams or if you don't do many long 250 plus mile rides just puta bdl smaller engine sprocket if they still make it. Or spend big money to find someone who can dial in a super e to your liking.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you looking to achieve a goin to work 20 mile screamer or a long haul bike. I missed your part about cams. The cams carb heads exhaust and compression must all work together. S&s will have a starting point Iam sure. They also Will recommend their carb. Ive never had or worked on a hrs carb. There is another company who made a cv type carb a few years ago that I would have liked to have but was some ridiculious price then but now might be cheaper if anyone knows the company. I haven't done anything but a side mount license plate in last couple years.