Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on picking new handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 02:51 PM
CruzB
|
Advanced
Default Need help on picking new handlebars

While the stock handlebars are pretty comfortable, I'm needing something with a little bit more pull back to fully relax my arms. Currently, my arms aren't completely out stretched, but they're a little further out than I'd like them to be. However, I don't know a whole ton about bars (I only knew about drag bars and apes when I had my Sportster), and I'm seeing beach, ape, cruiser bars, etc, so I need some guidance.

I like the look of apes, and I'll probably go with 12", since it seems like that's about the highest that would be comfortable for me. I also don't mind some of the beach bars. In either case, I don't want to go too wide, and some of the beach and ape bars I see are pretty wide (some of the apes are pretty wide at the bottom, and the beach bars are wide grip to grip). So are there some apes that are relatively narrow at the bottom, or cruiser/beach bars that are close to stock in looks and size?

And one more thing, will I lose some handling with apes? I like how the stock bars handle right now, a lot better than my drag bars I had on my Sporty. Seems like I get better leverage with their width.

Edited to add: So far I've checked out Carlini, LA Choppers, and Burly.

Last edited by CruzB; 09-10-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added what brands I've checked outl
Old 09-10-2012 | 03:48 PM
Ajgmiles
Novice

I'm with you on this. I like the stock bars myself but a few inches closer would be great just to get rid of that slight forward lean. I think I might have to go with the mini-apes but I'm not ready to make that decision yet. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2012 | 04:42 PM
CruzB
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ajgmiles
I'm with you on this. I like the stock bars myself but a few inches closer would be great just to get rid of that slight forward lean. I think I might have to go with the mini-apes but I'm not ready to make that decision yet. Good luck.
One thing I did the other day was loosened the risers and rotated the bars slightly toward me. It did bring it back a little bit, but I haven't been able to test it out on a long ride yet. It's an idea you can try for now.

Old 09-10-2012 | 07:28 PM
Ajgmiles
Novice

Originally Posted by CruzB
One thing I did the other day was loosened the risers and rotated the bars slightly toward me. It did bring it back a little bit, but I haven't been able to test it out on a long ride yet. It's an idea you can try for now.
I thought about that, too, but was afraid it would also bring them down a bit. I may give it a shot. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2012 | 07:45 PM
Rick7938
Tourer

I put Road Glide pull backs on my Roadster. It lets me sit up straight and takes a lot of pressure off my back.

Old 09-10-2012 | 08:57 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

I suggest you go to a dealer and try a bike that has a set of Heritage bars on it. Similar in dimension to Harley's Mini Apes, they are very easy to ride and super comfortable. They sound like IMHO just what you're looking for. HTH.

Old 09-10-2012 | 09:41 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

When I bought my 06 SB I was worried about the 10 inch Mini Apes....1st time with any Ape Bars.....Piece of cake to handle, way more comfortable than the 1200 S Bars I had on my Sportster.

Bought a FB and called and asked about switching to Beach Bars and the tech advised me not to do it on an EVO bike so I said to switch over to 10 Inch Mini Apes. The reply back was something like Get Real....Let me toss some Wild 1 12.5 inch Chubbies on that FB. He told me the ride height would be way more comfortable and the added leverage makes it easier to control.

So I trust him and say go for it....He hasn't been wrong yet and he was right, it just feels natural.

So after getting them both side by side the SB with 10 inch Mini Apes looked funny/lacking so I shipped it up for a pair of LA Chopper 12 inch Nice Curves.

What ever you do get 1.25 inch bars over the 1 inch....World of difference looks wise.

Karsten

Old 09-10-2012 | 09:50 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

I'd say get the 1.50 bars for the Fatboy. 1.50 14s would be perfect. That's why its called Fatboy... cause it's beefy and big. You'd be suprised how comfortable it would feel.

Old 09-11-2012 | 08:01 AM
oct1949
Club Member

The most popular bars that others put on their bikes around here is the Heritage bars..

visit Ur dealer and sit on one to get the feel of them..

and the 07-08's are different than the 09's and up... so see if u can find both kinks of them.

Old 09-11-2012 | 11:22 AM
CruzB
|
Advanced

Thanks for the advice so far. Sometime later in the month when I pick up my pipes I'll check out a Heritage, see how I like it.

Quick Reply: Need help on picking new handlebars