Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes/Exhaust removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yep. I use those all the time in my bike.
I can definitely see the need to have one. Maybe a few...like a 4" and 6" (assuming they come in those sizes).

Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I can definitely see the need to have one. Maybe a few...like a 4" and 6" (assuming they come in those sizes).
They have all those sizes. Super handy when pulling the starter.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
They have all those sizes. Super handy when pulling the starter.
Oh God... no more pulling stuff apart for awhile after all this! Hahaha

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your lucky you might have plenty of access space if you simply remove the heat shields, as they are quite big. I am just trying to save you some work.

I am attaching a few photos, one to show you the hidden cover behind pipes, the cover to pipe clearance, and the bastard that you have to disassemble. I did this twice as my first clutch cable was too long and replaced it a year later with a shorter one. PS - the tranny fluid should not look like milk! Somehow water got into mine, and I had the dealer flush it out after. It has been clear ever since.

Attached Thumbnails Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190018.jpg   Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190025.jpg   Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190027.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXBadass
If your lucky you might have plenty of access space if you simply remove the heat shields, as they are quite big. I am just trying to save you some work.

I am attaching a few photos, one to show you the hidden cover behind pipes, the cover to pipe clearance, and the bastard that you have to disassemble. I did this twice as my first clutch cable was too long and replaced it a year later with a shorter one. PS - the tranny fluid should not look like milk! Somehow water got into mine, and I had the dealer flush it out after. It has been clear ever since.
Thanks man!

Did you drain your tranny fluid or tip the bike over on its left side?

Also, which is the nut that people talk about stripping or breaking off?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

oops got double posted, just adding photo of the disassembled cover. Make sure you get a new gasket if you don't want it to leak. Also, lightly tighten the cable back in the cover or it could snap off. There is an o-ring that seals the cable. I drained the tranny and was glad due to the milk being present.

Attached Thumbnails Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190018.jpg   Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190025.jpg   Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8190027.jpg   Pipes/Exhaust removal-p8200032.jpg  

Last edited by FXBadass; 09-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

oops got double posted, just adding photo of the disassembled cover. Make sure you get a new gasket if you don't want it to leak. Also, lightly tighten the cable back in the cover or it could snap off. There is an o-ring that seals the cable. I drained the tranny and was glad due to the milk being present.
Gotcha! I think I may drain my tyranny fluid also, even I though I just changed it 500 miles ago. Lol It worth $20 for the fluid and takes no time to do do, ya know? I'll also go to a dealer and get a new gasket and boring this week.

I will take note on lightly tightening the cable back to the cover!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

If your tranny fluid is that new, I would try to save it like you said before. If some leaks out, you can always top it up through the dipstick when done. That is where the rounded (like a ball) allan key helps as it is in a tight spot. The cable is to be installed into the cover snug + a smidgeon if that helps. Make sure the whole cable turns when you hand thread it into the clutch cover as there are no swivel joints on it. I'm sure you will do fine with it.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

If your tranny fluid is that new, I would try to save it like you said before. If some leaks out, you can always top it up through the dipstick when done. That is where the rounded (like a ball) allan key helps as it is in a tight spot. The cable is to be installed into the cover snug + a smidgeon if that helps. Make sure the whole cable turns when you hand thread it into the clutch cover as there are no swivel joints on it. I'm sure you will do fine with it.
I do have a set of ball allen sockets so after removing the baffles, I may be able to get it off like you did.

Leaning the bike over that far scares me but it guess I could attempt it. I read that those that do it only loose a few drops of fluid so it is tempting since mine fluid is so new. Lol

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Ratchets, Extensions and sockets...

What he said.

Quick Reply: Pipes/Exhaust removal