Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dark Knight" build begins...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013 | 11:37 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

haha thats what we do Kizzle - try hanging out in the Night Train pic thread - its even worse lol

If you are looking at tank badges I think the early 60's Panhead emblem would really look good on your bike (I was even thinking of putting em on mine but yours suits it way more)

Old 02-02-2013 | 03:42 AM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Midgard
haha thats what we do Kizzle - try hanging out in the Night Train pic thread - its even worse lol

If you are looking at tank badges I think the early 60's Panhead emblem would really look good on your bike (I was even thinking of putting em on mine but yours suits it way more)
Midgard, I hang out on the NT Picture thread all the time. I have to write down what page numbers I find that I see ideas I like on, just so I can keep track. It seems as though the process is never ending. My first bike (Honda Shadow Spirit 750) I painted 3 times. My second bike (1971 Sportster XLCH 900) I painted twice. This bike, I have only painted once, but I have only had it one winter as well. I already see paint ideas I like more than what I have chosen though.

Trust me, the bike is ALWAYS far from done. I may be just settin' on it for a year though. The ride I am planning is going to eat up some of my tax return, and I wanted to pay some bills with the leftovers. Maybe I'll spring for a couple small things here and there.. Powdercoat? I dunno. I really want wheels. They can MAKE the look of the bike - but there is the $$$ factor.

Going on the ride in June is priority #1. The bike will always be there to wrench on.

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:28 AM
Branner
Road Warrior

Mid & Kizzle: They are the same badges that are on Honkylips bike.

Old 02-23-2013 | 06:37 AM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Well, fellas.. I thought I would give you a brief update. I couldn't sleep last night so I figured I would get a jump on breaking the bike down for powder coat. Found a guy local who will do pretty much everything I can pull off for $200. I've got the forks and trees broke down and ready to go. Everything is small piddly $#!T. Heavy breather, horn cover, tail light housing, license plate bracket, and a box of more stuff... Going to go gloss black with everything- I think it will set a nice contrast to the hammered finish. Here is a little teardown pic. It also shows the exhaust done with the black header wrap.

Old 02-23-2013 | 10:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Even tore down this is a nice looking bike. I will be interested to see the reassembled pictures.

Old 02-23-2013 | 01:42 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Even tore down this is a nice looking bike. I will be interested to see the reassembled pictures.
Thanks, man! I was planning on getting a Fatboy/Road King front end for it and blacking it out, but I am thinking I will stick with the FX front end. I like the simplicity and openness of it. Had a guy lined up to trade my FX front for his Fatboy front, but it looks like that fell through as he can't find the lowers (which are a pretty important part).

All that is left, "for now", is a set of fat spokes, a sissy bar, and some saddle bags for my trip in June.

Old 02-24-2013 | 09:42 AM
sic rocker
Novice

Bike is looking good cant wait to see it done.

Old 02-24-2013 | 07:47 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Well guys, here is a list of everything that I am having powdercoated for the NT. Everything will be gloss black. Guy said it will be done Saturday night, and ready for pick up. He had samples of his work, and everything looks show quality (he also builds hot rods and restores bicycles on the side). I am super stoked to get it back and start assembling the bike again. Nothing like a little freshness to brighten it up. The list:

Triple Trees
Fork Lowers
Horn cover/bracket
Headlight Bucket/bracket
Derby Cover
Primary Chain inspection plate
Heavy breather assembly/brackets/plates
18" Apes
Bar risers/clamp
Transmission cover
"Points" cover (I don't know what else to call this piece)
Clutch/brake levers
Rear turn signal housings
Fender struts

I think that is it, but I may have missed some small piddly parts.... Said he will have it done for $175-$200. Sounded like a pretty good deal to me! Can't wait! I figured I mine as well put new bearings in the trees, and all new seals in the forks since I have everything apart. Bike it almost 10 years old, so why not.

Old 03-03-2013 | 03:26 AM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Well, guys... Here is a spread of all of the parts I had powder coated. The guy did a phenomenal job on the parts. Total cost was $200. Couldn't go wrong! I plan on having everything pretty much back together tomorrow. I can already tell you that the rear fender looks 1000 times better with everything blacked out! We are expecting a good sized snowstorm here in MN the next couple of days.. I will tell ya... I'm ready for SPRING!

Old 03-03-2013 | 04:51 AM
myultra1
Intermediate

This looks like a master piece, work in progress .

Quick Reply: "Dark Knight" build begins...