Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dark Knight" build begins...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012 | 06:33 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

P.S. The pipes that are on there now will be for sale should anyone be interested. I believe they are Hooker's.. Can't find any markings on them but I have not taken them off yet. The rear pipe has some scraping on it, but nothing terrible.

Old 09-07-2012 | 09:13 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Digging it!

Originally Posted by kizzletruck

And, a pre fit of the apes to measure for cables:

Old 09-10-2012 | 04:52 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Well guys, just ordered the front fender (OE Heritage smooth style from Dennis Kirk). Was able to get the for under $70. Picked up a wide tombstone rear tail light kit for a Fatboy ($79) from J&P along with a laydown license plate bracket ($29).

Stopped at the local painter to talk prices (Cash $$) and sounds like I will be looking at $600 to do the job I want. I am thinking a Black and Medium gray 2 tone similar to the paint styles on the Deluxes with a metal flake in both. Let me know your thoughts on it...

Check out this front fender (https://www.denniskirk.com/kustomwer...prd/397038.sku), I am thinking it should bolt right up to the Night Train front, with the possibility of having a little bit of a spacer having to be 'custom fabricated'. Mounting width is just shy of 7" between the forks, and the fender is listed at 6 3/4". I will be using the 21" wheel up front as well.

Let me know guys... The shipping confirmations keep piling in.. Looking forward to getting everything together!

Old 09-18-2012 | 02:12 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer
Default 33" Samson's Installed on the DARK KNIGHT

Well, here you go....

A little photo update of the build. I've got the 33" Samson Longtails with removable tips and baffles installed. Stopped at the paint shop yesterday to finalize the colors and should have the tins back tomorrow. I'm going with a metallic black and a heavy metallic deep gray. It should look pretty awesome. At night the bike will look black with a sparkle, and during the day in the sun the gray will really pop. The color difference is subtle, but the metallic will give it a wow factor - it almost looks like it has tiny specs of gold in it in really bright sunlight.

One question I have is, I want to pull the baffles out of the pipes - I'm all about pissing off neighbors and yuppies in their convertibles.. I have a Stage One download, and SE intake. The pipes that were on it were Hooker's swept with baffles. If I pull the baffles will I be looking at a DYNO and re-map? JR @ Samson told me I should be set to go with the setup I've got to run without baffles.

Just wondering what your experience is.

It's coming together nicely!! Hope you all like it

Old 09-18-2012 | 04:12 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Your bike's gonna look great! I'm not sure how the painter can do your tins so cheap, but good for you. If he does a good job, that's a killer price.

Old 09-18-2012 | 04:20 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Your bike's gonna look great! I'm not sure how the painter can do your tins so cheap, but good for you. If he does a good job, that's a killer price.
I used to work for a truck accessory company and managed the retail store that was just down the street from the body shop I am having my work done at. Many years of business wrapped up with him professionally, so he gives me good prices on personal projects. We both benefit from it, and him and his crew do phenomenal work.

Thanks for the compliment, and I will definitely keep everyone updated when I get everything together.

Still have to determine what I am going to have powdercoated - but I will wait until snow flies to take care of that. Definitely the lower legs, maybe the trees, maybe the bars.. I'm not sure. I would kind of like to leave a little chrome on it to tie the longtails in. We will see how it looks when it is all back together.

Old 09-18-2012 | 04:34 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer

Oh, I forgot to mention. I went with the Burly cable & wire extension kit. Everything fit together perfectly, and the instructions (even though I didn't really use them) were very well written. For a minute I thought the wires would be a little short but it turns out they are the perfect length.

The Samson instructions... Not so much. Lol. They were ok, but could definitely be simplified - maybe include some pictures.. That seems to be the general consensus, though. Still debating on taking the connections back apart to put some RTV on the inside of the sliding points on the system. Seems like it might be a wise choice to prevent any leaks.

Old 09-18-2012 | 08:35 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
I Still have to determine what I am going to have powdercoated - but I will wait until snow flies to take care of that. Definitely the lower legs, maybe the trees, maybe the bars.. I'm not sure. I would kind of like to leave a little chrome on it to tie the longtails in. We will see how it looks when it is all back together.

Definately black out the lowers and the trees, and dont forget that horn too lol. Also I would get rid of the belt gaurd.

From there you can see how the remaining chrome will tie into the balck.

(you might end up having to change the name to Kinda Dark Knight lol)

Can't wait to see the paint.

Old 09-19-2012 | 03:45 PM
kizzletruck
|
Tourer
Default All Back Together

Well guys, here it is all back together. The paint turned out AWESOME!
I am thinking I will have to powdercoat the lower legs and triple trees. Other than that I am just planning on doing some mammoth spokes, white walls, and a lowering kit.

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. Having a bit of trouble with the tail lamp assy. It seems that the brake stays on all the time. I have yet to pull it apart to make sure it has a dual filament bulb in it.

By the way, these are the 33" Samson Longtails, removable tips and baffles. Running without baffles. Stage one download, and SE air cleaner. Seems to run out very well so far, but I only took it around the block. It sounds absolutely MEAN! I love it!

Enjoy:

Old 09-19-2012 | 05:00 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Looks good! Still a lot of shiny crap on there though!

Quick Reply: "Dark Knight" build begins...