Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone getting scratches from their stock passenger pillion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
CruzB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone getting scratches from their stock passenger pillion?

I noticed on my bike that when I remove the passenger pillion, there's a protective plastic film underneath on the fender. It's pretty ugly since it collects dust around the edges and stands out like a sore thumb when I want to ride solo. So I was considering removing it, but not sure if the pillion is prone to scratching the fender without it. I know my Sportster rear fender got scuffed a bit from a pillion. Anyone experience problems with scratching?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I stuck a thin mat of felt on the bottom of mine.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. My rear fender is all f@# after the pillion. Guess water and dirt gets under there and vibrations cause it to rub/scratch.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I've left my plastic cover on to help the fender from getting scratches on it.

U might want to get a fender bid for solo riding. lots do.

I took the stock rear seat and made it into a backrest/rear fender cover after I bought the touring pillion seat..
It gives me a lot of back support and I don't feel like I am sliding off the seat when I get on it vs just a fender bib..

Last edited by oct1949; 09-06-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Even if you try to put something soft under your pillion, it will cause scratches if that something is not fixed to the fender such as the protective film from the factory. As stated by Jayohh, if you do any serious two up riding in different conditions then eventually enough road grit will work it's way under the pillion and the downward pressure of a rider plus vibration will start working it's magic on your fender. Even without the presence of dirt, the constant vibration and rubbing will effect the look of your paint. Lots of people say that just putting something soft between your pillion and fender is enough. I have to doubt that is true for any amount of extensive riding under various types of conditions.

That protective film can be ugly but a scuffed up fender looks even worse. Get a fender bib for when you want to pull the pillion off.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
FLSTNHARLEY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Even if you try to put something soft under your pillion, it will cause scratches if that something is not fixed to the fender such as the protective film from the factory. As stated by Jayohh, if you do any serious two up riding in different conditions then eventually enough road grit will work it's way under the pillion and the downward pressure of a rider plus vibration will start working it's magic on your fender. Even without the presence of dirt, the constant vibration and rubbing will effect the look of your paint. Lots of people say that just putting something soft between your pillion and fender is enough. I have to doubt that is true for any amount of extensive riding under various types of conditions.

That protective film can be ugly but a scuffed up fender looks even worse. Get a fender bib for when you want to pull the pillion off.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also placed a protective cloth under the pillion seat ... considering the bike gets changed from single to dual all the time it's still in good shape 07 not anything to worry about .... but unless you can get a pillion to sit still like they were dead they move about and that's when you get the scuffs and marks all part off having someone to talk to! .....

Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The plastic film cover is there for just that reason. I ride Solo 95% of the time though so I run without the rear pillion and I removed the clear film since I ride solo so much. What I do, do however is when I put my rear pillion back on to ride a lady now and then is I took a towel and cut a piece out to fit on the bottom of the rear pillion. I hold it in place with a few small strips of tape, when I am done I just remove the pillion, the towel and the tape and as of this reply I have zero scratches thus far, knock on wood. If you come up with something better post it so we can all share in on keeping us from scratching up our rear fenders.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As skeezmachine said, you really can't avoid it, if you ride alot 2-up. I ride in all kinds of weather, so I don't think a towel would do any differense. It would just soak up water and dirt, and possibly make it worse. But it all depends on the use of the bike.

My bike is ment to be ridden, so I really don't mind that it looks used. I've considered trying to buff it, but not sure if its a good idea since its matte black, so I just leave it alone.

I'll wait 'till I get a second bike, or 'till I get single again before I do anything about it hehe...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM
dwatkins
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a microfiber cloth and 3M spray adhesive. Cut it to fit the bottom of the seat and glued in to the bottom of the seat. No scratches yet but I don't ride two up very much and I change the whole seat to a solo not just a removable passenger pillion.

Quick Reply: Anyone getting scratches from their stock passenger pillion?