Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 inch tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run both the 21 x 2.15 Stock harley 40 spoke with a 90-90-21 Avon and my current set up is a RW 21 x 3.50 fat spoke with a DB 120-70-21 Metz. IMHO the 120-70-21 handles a bit better and seems to offer a bit more stability.

With that being said I never had any problems with the skinner tire and wheel. No shakes ,wobbles or anything. It was stable and felt great up to triple digits.

Now here is the kicker. To be 100% honest I liked the way the skinner tire and wheel looked on my bike better. It was a lower profile side wall and just seemed to have more attitude.I know I am in the minority here but I like the pizza cutter look better.

I often thought about taking out about a 1 to 2 " strip of the middle of the front fender re welding and repainting . So the wheel does not not look so lost in the front fender.Even though the way it was did not really bother me. I still think about going back to the skinner wheel and modding the fender. What can I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

For a 3-3.5" width rim 120/70/21 is the size to run. Back in the day when we wanted a wide white wall and there was no Vee Rubber or Diamond Back we would get a 3" wide rim and a 90/21 wide white wall and stretch it on and run it with a tube. I know a lot of guys who have done however one of my buddies dented two rims running his bike this way. The narrower rim with the narrow tire did not come close to filling up the front fender. Some people like the look while others don't. I'll get some pics up once photobucket starts to cooperate again.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
For a 3-3.5" width rim 120/70/21 is the size to run. Back in the day when we wanted a wide white wall and there was no Vee Rubber or Diamond Back we would get a 3" wide rim and a 90/21 wide white wall and stretch it on and run it with a tube. I know a lot of guys who have done however one of my buddies dented two rims running his bike this way. The narrower rim with the narrow tire did not come close to filling up the front fender. Some people like the look while others don't. I'll get some pics up once photobucket starts to cooperate again.

To make it worse I just saw that you guys are running a special this month on the big daddys...do you guys have them in stock?? i would even consider just sticking with the 16's

Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Fabrikator
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
this set up is what I was thinking of running..is this a 21x2.15?
Yes it is. Its a factory HD wheel, off a 2007-08 Train.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To make it worse I just saw that you guys are running a special this month on the big daddys...do you guys have them in stock?? i would even consider just sticking with the 16's
You could go 18" front and get a stock Dunlop WW. That's what I had before the 21"

Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Where was this photo taken?

Originally Posted by kozy22
You could go 18" front and get a stock Dunlop WW. That's what I had before the 21"

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The Big Daddy's are built to order and not ins tock. Lead time is usually 1-3 weeks for delivery to me so I can assemble everything and get it shipped out to my customers. If you want pricing pm, email, or call me.

As far as white walls are concerned, 16" white walls are the easiest to get if you want a high quality tire (Metzeler, Avon, etc.)

Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
slouch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no offense to the people running 21's.... but they look tacky IMHO. another reason why im not a fan is because of how common they are on bikes these days. kinda just remind me of the big wheel i used to ride when in was a kid.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WanaRyd Wheels
Where was this photo taken?

Middletown RI

Originally Posted by slouch
no offense to the people running 21's.... but they look tacky IMHO. another reason why im not a fan is because of how common they are on bikes these days. kinda just remind me of the big wheel i used to ride when in was a kid.
Actually only seen about a handful of other 21" wheels around my area, not common at all.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slouch

So what your sayin is everyone is rollin on a 21 where you live or is it what your seein on this forum? Lets see a pic of your sled. I like my tacky big wheel! Just sayin.

Stone

Quick Reply: 21 inch tire