Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil or something getting wet....help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM
shagster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil or something getting wet....help!

About a month ago I rode for six hours in driving rain on my 09' Crossbones. Just before I got home she started "miss firing" and I didn't think I'd get home (only 4 miles away) I did get home and took it to my trusted mechanic who said the coil got wet. He said he packed electrically grease about it and all connections and she's been running great (albeit no rain). Today I washed it (no pressure washer, just a hose) and sure enough when I went to put it back in the shed she was doing the same thing. Anyone else have this experience and been able to resolve it?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Could be many things, plug wires, coil, crankshaft sensor, speed sensor, wire connections and so on. Locate your ECM and follow all wiring and push all connectors together. Take a spray bottle of water, and while the engine is running spray all wiring and connectors you can find and try to duplicate/isolate where water creates the problem. Purchase a spray can of electrical waterproofing and spray it liberally on all connecters, wires, boots etc.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
shagster
Cruiser

Thanks "Checkers" sounds like a good practical approach.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a similar problem. Bought new plug wires and sealed them with electrical grease in the boots when I put them on. Havent had any issues since then.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Could also be your ignition switch or your run/stop switch.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
shagster
Cruiser

Just talked with my mechanic. Soon as she dries out and runs normal I'm taking it to him and we're going to perform the get each area wet test and see if we can isolate the issue. Thanks.........plug wires will be tested as well.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same problem here too Dude. It's never been in the rain but when I wash it it just does not want to start. It turns over just no fire. What I do now when I wash it? I do not spray water on anything above the rocker covers and handle bars. I just clean them with a wet rag then just wax them. I have had no problems since I started washing my bike this way. The only problems are, it's not fixing the problem, just getting around it and I have no idea what to expect when I do get caught in the rain. I would sure like to know what you find out when you go to your buddies and try to pin point the problem.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would vote for the plug wires

Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
shagster
Cruiser

Plug wires might be the first choice. I have 31K on the bike and I've had a few other issues recently........a couple of days after the 6hr "rain" ride the taillight stopped working, replaced the rusted taillight PC board (great Harley design means water off the rear tire floods the taillight cavity because of the two quarter size holes for the wiring.....I caulked these up!), then a week later the hydraulic brake switch went up, replaced it. Since we do a lot of multi-day trips I've got to have a reliable bike. Will post something when we get it figured out.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
shagster
Cruiser
Default Update!

We found the problem to be small cracks in the corners of my FuelPak. It was installed per Vance & Hines instructions under my electronics plate. We don't know how it got that way as the seat doesn't actually rest on it.

My mechanic / Vance dealer replaced the FuelPak ($189 and didn't charge any labor). I can actually say it's running better also.

Quick Reply: coil or something getting wet....help!