Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Replacement...Anything else??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator Replacement...Anything else??

Hey Everyone,

Gonna rip into the bike this weekend replacing the stator. Been looking at pictures that others have taken while working on their's and I was wondering if I need or should replace any of the other guts that are in there.
Not really sure what all is in there, but what normally wears out once you take all that apart?

I have a 2008 Softail Custom with 36000km (+/-22500 miles)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM
kalamitty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just make sure you get the right tools and it is easy to do, i have just done mine, you need a one and a half inch AF, socket for the stator and a one and three sixtheens socket for the clutch pak, plus a long socket bar/handle, also a primary locking tool, some new oil for primary, new bolts for stator, and a circlip pliers, i reused all my gaskets and no leaks job should take a couple of hours with a stop for a brew, go on youtube and look on there thats where i look a few times before i started, theres a couple not using a locking tool and struggling to do it. dont buy the stator pulling tool as it is not needed, i is only held on by the force of the magnets just fabricate a couple of L shape pieces of metal. heres how i did it, i lifted the bike with a jack, put it into fifth gear and strapped the rear brake down, drain the primary ( pref overnight, if stator burnt then it will smell) unbolt the primary and pull off, no need to remove gear linkage footboard etc. clean everything up from the smelly oil. place locking tool on chain top of stator. put socket on stator and pull hard as it is on with 150lb, i extended with a piece of scaffold tube, when lose i undid the the clutch and take out the center bolt and washer so you can see the large nut, next put locking tool at the bottom of the chain and loosen the large nut holding the clutch pak this is undone by turning to the right remove clutch pak, you need the circlip pliers before you get at the nut. undo the tensioner for the primary chain and remove the clutch pak chain and stator at the same time notice how things come away ( use a camera) undo the four bolts holding the stator and throw a way you need new ones pull the stator cover off with your home made tool, i used a drain cover key. next undo the wire plug from the regulator and pull the stator out i cut the plug off replace and retrace putting everything back , to reuse the plug i pushed the pins out using a nail, hope this was helpful, it sounds hard to do but it wasn't only with the right tools which i sourced of the internet. the only other thing could be the primary chain tensioner shoe but mine had done 40,000miles and was ok.

Last edited by kalamitty; 08-31-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

A new outer primary gasket and you may want to get a new poly shoe for the primary chain. They are cheap and you are there so replacement is easy. Some people will not tear it down that far and put it back together without changing the inner primary to tranny seal. You can use a mirror and light to look up in between your inner primary and tranny to see if you see any oil weeping from the seal. When that starts leaking it wont stop and you will need to take the primary back off to get the inner primary off. If you do you will need to get a new o-Ring for the inner primary to engine, the new inner primary shaft seal, a set of lack tab washers for the 4 or 5 inner primary bolts, the outer primary gasket, and a quart of primary chaincase lube.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Being that deep into it I would pop the clutch off and check the inner primary bearing that rides on the tranny output shaft. Know it takes some tools to deal with sleeve if needed but had a friend with 23+k on her Dyna and had to have it replaced in the middle of a trip. Helped her prep the bike for trip but no way to ck without a bunch of tear down and you will be most of the way there with the stator replacement.