Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy oem seat install & sissy bar install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012 | 01:26 PM
AmericanMuscle
|
Tourer
Default Fatboy oem seat install & sissy bar install questions

I tore the rear passenger seat on my fatboy. Ordered a new one. See that there is one screw in the back. Do I just unscrew and replace or should the shop do it?

Bought the factory medium low sissybar. Was wondering if I need a mounting kit or if it will bolt right in with the fixed mounting brackets. Should I have the dealer put this in or is it an easy install? Don't have a torque wrench. Maybe I should get one to check my own bolts

Old 08-29-2012 | 01:40 PM
Shortmag
Road Master

You can do this yourself-what year fatboy? On my 98 you have to remove the screws on each side of the seat and the one behind the pillion. Then two screws on the underside of your seat attaching the pillion.

Old 08-30-2012 | 04:05 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

A seat install is about as easy as it gets. Any dealer that actually charges money for it should be ashamed of themselves. It should take you all of 5 minutes and that includes the bathroom break.

As for the sissy bar it should be easy enough too, but I have no idea if your bike requires a mounting kit or not. That is something you can ask the dealer about and they should be able to answer.

Old 08-30-2012 | 05:43 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I'd like to be there when you ask the dealer to replace your pillion to see the expression on their face.

Old 08-30-2012 | 06:10 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Really? A passenger pillion. Yep you better get your dealer to do it for ya. About 1-2 hours labor to remove on screw.

Old 08-30-2012 | 06:23 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Be nice people. We all had to start somewhere. I wouldn't recommend doing an oil change yourself, but take the chance and try the seat. If that goes good, do the sissy bar. But PLEASE, do not ask the dealer to do the seat for you.

Old 08-30-2012 | 06:57 PM
73oldsman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Shortmag
You can do this yourself-what year fatboy? On my 98 you have to remove the screws on each side of the seat and the one behind the pillion. Then two screws on the underside of your seat attaching the pillion.
Good info from Shortmag. The first pic below is the release screw on either side of your seat, as is on my fatboy, and most others. The 2nd pic is the underside of the seat where you can see the 2 bolts where the pillion bolts to the seat and the bracket at the back of the pillion that the screw goes thru that attaches the pillion to the fender. Easy, cheesy, you can do it!

Old 09-14-2012 | 05:40 PM
AmericanMuscle
|
Tourer

Ok got the seat on. Noticed that the two nuts can only tighten half a turn...

What tools do I need to install a perminant mount harley sissybar mount kit? Looks like just two cresent style bolts... Anyone know what size?

Old 09-14-2012 | 07:59 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I tore the rear passenger seat on my fatboy. Ordered a new one. See that there is one screw in the back. Do I just unscrew and replace or should the shop do it?

Bought the factory medium low sissybar. Was wondering if I need a mounting kit or if it will bolt right in with the fixed mounting brackets. Should I have the dealer put this in or is it an easy install? Don't have a torque wrench. Maybe I should get one to check my own bolts
Let go easy here......what year is your Fatboy? If it's pretty new there are two knurled screws under the back of the seat and one at the back of the pillion that have to come loose. The one at the back of the pillion has to come out and the two under the back of the seat have to loosen up. After that.........slide it out and replace.....tighten the screws. The passenger (hold on strap) stays.

Old 09-14-2012 | 09:33 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Also helps to look at and read the free owners manual that came with the bike. It shows you how to remove your seat and many other basic things.

Quick Reply: Fatboy oem seat install & sissy bar install questions