Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Osprey bags...Brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Osprey bags...Brackets?

As I've already said in another thread, I'm going with Hard stretched bags over the winter, but in the interim, and to be honest before I thought of them, I ordered some Osprey leather Springer style bags just like OS_Deluxe, its a look I really like, and its taken 6 weeks to get them, 4 to make them and 2 to get them, pics to follow, but these are real nice items, I had it down to Boss, Hogdeluxe, or the Osprey, I chose them because they are more like the springer classic bags.
They were supplied with Easy brackets and its the first time I've seen these brackets in person.
I've mounted the bags with the Easy brackets but although they are fitted as per the instructions, there seems to be some movement of the bags, I'm wondering if perhaps I need some kind of bracket that extends down the back of the bag and maybe fixes it in place.
Anyone with Easybrackets?
Maybe you can tell me what yours are like?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

I have Osprey bags and I had the exact same problem -- to the point where one of the bags actually fell off even though the bracket was locked. At first I thought I had a defective bracket, so I called the company, explained the problem, and they sent me a new bracket (nice helpful people). However, the bags still move on the mounting bracket. I tried bending the locking tang, but, as the manufacturer told me, it's made of pot metal and breaks easily, rendering the bracket useless (or, should I say, more useless).

Then I discovered that perhaps because I had mounted the bags too low the inside bottom edges were rubbing against the axle, basically wearing the stitching away, and also rubbing against the frame, wearing the paint away. However, I had a 270-pound friend sit on the bike and compress the shocks and the bottom edge of the bags didn't come anywhere near the axles.

Eventually I jiggered things around to where the bags no longer fall off (though they still move) and they no longer rub on the axles. However, I still don't like how far out from the fender the bags sit. Conclusion: The bags are fantastic -- great value -- but the mounting system completely sucks. If I knew of a better one out there, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.