Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember the day I walked in the dealership and saw the Denim Black Slim. I thought that that bike was the ticket and I couldn't wait to 'black it out'. Couldn't work a deal on that bike, but a few weeks later was able to get one in Vivid Black. Again, I was itching to 'black it out'.

Then I see the 300+ pages or so of combined Slim and FB Lo threads with, well...blacked out bikes. Even the dealer asked me one day I stopped by with my bike "when you gonna black out the forks". I replied "don't intend to" to which I received the "didn't you know, black is the new chrome" response. The 'blacked out' thing is a fad IMHO, but to each his own.

And I still don't get the whole 'going to kill the bike' thing with the Slim. I see that phrase thrown around more in the Slim threads than anywhere.

I want to change the wheels on my Slim also so I can't wait to see what yours looks like afterward. Please post pics when you get your new wheels on!!
I think the Slim looks best with a mix of chrome and black. Especially the vivid black Slim. So I agree with you there. I am gonna black out my front end though because I was able to find the OEM parts pretty cheap. The dealer would love for ya to black it out cuz that's more coin.

WWs look great, IMHO. But I personally associate that look with a Deluxe, not a bobber.

As for big dramatic mods, again, IMHO this is the Harley that needs those least. The lines on this bike are killer and that's the reason they are selling so well and you're seeing that a lot of guys want to keep them mostly intact.

But hey, I just expressed a bunch of opinions. When I make the payments on your bike, I can tell you what do with it. If it makes you ride it more, I got nothing else from the peanut gallery. And if everyone thought and did the same things to their Harleys - they wouldn't be Harleys.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-22-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember the day I walked in the dealership and saw the Denim Black Slim. I thought that that bike was the ticket and I couldn't wait to 'black it out'. Couldn't work a deal on that bike, but a few weeks later was able to get one in Vivid Black. Again, I was itching to 'black it out'.

Then I see the 300+ pages or so of combined Slim and FB Lo threads with, well...blacked out bikes. Even the dealer asked me one day I stopped by with my bike "when you gonna black out the forks". I replied "don't intend to" to which I received the "didn't you know, black is the new chrome" response. The 'blacked out' thing is a fad IMHO, but to each his own.

And I still don't get the whole 'going to kill the bike' thing with the Slim. I see that phrase thrown around more in the Slim threads than anywhere.

I want to change the wheels on my Slim also so I can't wait to see what yours looks like afterward. Please post pics when you get your new wheels on!!
The slim has a certainly look to it as intended by the factory. And I among most others really enjoy the minimalistic approach to the bike. I think adding a 23 on the front will detract from that approach, which is absolutely ok because it's his bike and he should make it his own.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder I guess...
Mine was screaming to be blacked out, so I did. Fact is, I'm just not a fan of polished aluminum.
I'm in the process of adding chrome pipes and A/C, just for the contrast.

Blacking out a Slim isn't any different than guys who buy Deluxe's, then chrome them out, add beach bars, cholos and 21" inch wheels.
To me, THEY all look the same...
To each his own.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain

Jam and SoCal- I find it a little humorous that all three of us posted the same thing essentially.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
Beauty's in the eye of the beholder I guess...
Mine was screaming to be blacked out, so I did. Fact is, I'm just not a fan of polished aluminum.
I'm in the process of adding chrome pipes and A/C, just for the contrast.

Blacking out a Slim isn't any different than guys who buy Deluxe's, then chrome them out, add beach bars, cholos and 21" inch wheels.
To me, THEY all look the same...
To each his own.
Agreed! Jam436's Slim is one of the best done version's I've seen. I also
like how SoCalSoftailSlim has customized his Slim. If we all liked the same
thing, it'd be pretty boreing...

I'll probably follow suit & black out the lower forks at some point. I might
even consider some ol' schooll Dymag's for a different look...

T.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennB.
Jam and SoCal- I find it a little humorous that all three of us posted the same thing essentially.
heheh. True. The Slim is a great looking bike. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Personalize it, yes.

Then again, one guy's personalizing is another guy's major mod. And it's all good.

As for real fat tires and spokes, that really isn't my thing on any bike, let alone the Slim. But that's just me. When I got a flat, I used it as a chance to put a 150 in the rear of my Slim and it filled out the fender nicely. Made the bike handle nicer too, IMHO. Happy with that. And she still has her original curves.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
slim12
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like im on the flip side of the coin to what ya'll are saying. I love the styling of the bike stock but i have a lot of changes planed for the future. I wanna put on 17" black 60 spoke front, keepin the back 16 inch. I dont think it'll ratically change the look but enough to make my slim more unique. Also plannin on shotgun shocks and probably 12 or 14 inch apes. Not gonna go total black out tho. It'll be largley black but with smaller touches of chrome through out

Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

There's a big difference between 17" and 23". Those are all subtle changes you're planning, I just think a 23" will look like a strange board tracker.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
slim12
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennB.
There's a big difference between 17" and 23". Those are all subtle changes you're planning, I just think a 23" will look like a strange board tracker.
i agree, like a said just enough to make it unique. The apes will be a big change tho lol

Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

There are a couple guys running apes and they look pretty sweet

Quick Reply: Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!