Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014 | 10:02 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetfever
I was thinking of doing the same thing, mount a panhead or tractor shape seat.
How did you mount the front? Did you have to cut off the "adjustable" slot on the front?

Any more photos?

Thanks, Steve
If you like the old police seat look (I do), here's a somewhat old
picture of my pogo-style conversion.

T.

Old 06-23-2014 | 10:25 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

I really like the look of that seat WKNDS. It looks like the Pogo mount moves the seat up and forward. How do you like the new seating position? I bet that Police/ Solo Panhead seat is comfortable.

I would love to see a similar side view of Coconut72's Bike, and see if he was able to keep his seat mounted a bit farther back.

I have the Harley "small solo" spring seat on my Slim, and I would like to sit no higher, and even further back, though I'm not sure this is possible. I really like the "position" of my body on the bike with the spring seat, just want a larger seat for longer rides.

Old 06-23-2014 | 10:56 PM
slimbaby
Stage II
Default my baby

ooppss posted too soon see next post from me

Last edited by slimbaby; 06-23-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2014 | 10:58 PM
slimbaby
Stage II
Default my baby

this is my baby, last yrs pic need to update soon!

and me with her

Old 06-24-2014 | 05:40 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

I really like the look of that seat WKNDS. It looks like the Pogo mount moves the seat up and forward. How do you like the new seating position? I bet that Police/ Solo Panhead seat is comfortable.

I would love to see a similar side view of Coconut72's Bike, and see if he was able to keep his seat mounted a bit farther back.

I have the Harley "small solo" spring seat on my Slim, and I would like to sit no higher, and even further back, though I'm not sure this is possible. I really like the "position" of my body on the bike with the spring seat, just want a larger seat for longer rides.
I love the seat & the positioning. I do tend to scrape the sideboards
a bit more now though. For side-shots of the spring version, look at
a Crossbones. Also look at the bottom of page 192 of the
'14 Parts & Accessories catalog (or pdf version). Appears that
you would need a different "installation kit" just to get the top-mount.
Or maybe find someone that has ordered the kit and get the mount
part numbers from the instruction sheet (my kit had all the parts broken
out individually with part numbers).

Speaking of Crossbones, I can confirm that the Crossbones leather
thank bib or "trim panel" is indeed part #71210-08, ~$90.00 from
an online HD dealer like KutterHD. Mine came in the mail yesterday.

hope this helps,

T.

Old 06-24-2014 | 08:36 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default different seat for the slim

WKNDS, Thanks for the info.

1. I cannot imagine why you scrape the foot boards more often due to no change other than a seat?

My Slim does touch footboards in turns earlier than my '06 Fatboy (since sold). Similar frame, the Slim must be a bit lower. Smaller Tires or lower profile tires on the slim? I have not lowered the rear...

2. As far as looking at a Crossbones, That Crossbones seat is big and fat, or overstuffed when compared with Coconut72's (and your) thinly padded seat. The Crossbones front mount is higher and farther forward than my Solo seat mount. The thin seat (like yours) matches the Slim look better than a Crossbones, IMHO. That is why I hope Coconut72 will post a side view.

I have looked at a few of the larger Tractor or wide/ older style thinly padded seats, they all have an adjustable (tall) rail in the front underside for mounting, that will prevent me from using my Solo seat front mount without cutting/ removing this welded front mount off a new tractor seat.

I also wanted to see if coconut72 seat is mounted farther back than your pogo seat, and if he somehow adapted the small solo seat mount.

Great idea about finding the parts list off of a kit. (if I can find one).

The front mount on my Solo Seat might work for me if I can get it bolted on to a tractor seat.

I borrowed a Crossbones seat. Test ride: The thick padding moved me too high on my bike, and the seat mount was too far forward for me. The bottom fame mount pivot was the same for both seats.
First photo on the left is my seat ('net photo,same style) and the front mount I would like to use on a wider tractor seat.

The 3rd photo I found on the 'net looks like this Crossbones has a different older style seat and is mounted low like I want to do.

Last shot is my bike with the borrowed Crossbones seat. See how high the front seat mount is compared with my solo seat? (First photo).
That Crossbones seat looked great, Is VERY comfortable and some might love the higher seat position, giving a bit more control over the bike at low speeds.

Attached Thumbnails Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!-solo1.jpeg   Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!-solo2.jpeg   Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!-solo3.jpeg   Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!-solo4.jpg  

Last edited by Jetfever; 06-24-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:18 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Crossbones

I JUST NOW found a thread that basically talks about what it took me several weeks to discover on my own
Here is a quote from 1 HD Forum member on this thread:

Agree ... the standard ( Crossbones) seat is luxury; the springs really do a job but for me sat me very high (which I kinda liked)

My deep bucket fatboy seat is for Mrs bones, not as plush for me and sits me a little too low. (As does the stock slim seat).

The '25 seat (the thin padded seat I am looking for) is just the right height and almost as comfortable as the standard. Thank-you fleabay for allowing mr to afford to own three seats ...

Here is the thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...gs-no-fit.html

Old 06-24-2014 | 03:50 PM
WildThang
Road Master

Added a Bowman sissy & Slim pullback risers (HD)....

Old 06-24-2014 | 06:53 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

1. I cannot imagine why you scrape the foot boards more often due to no change other than a seat?
Sitting a bit higher just makes it easier to do - for me anyway.
Guess it doesnt seem like the bike's leaning as far like with
the stock seat...

Great idea about finding the parts list off of a kit. (if I can find one).
You can look at the installation kit's instruction sheet in pdf. The bracket,
hinge, pivot piece numbers are shown in it.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04700.pdf

If thats not the correct installation kit, there's other kits shown, just
d/l the kit's instructions in pdf format...

hope this helps,

T.

Old 06-24-2014 | 08:44 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

T, Thanks!
I did not know the Crossbones seat was adjustable for and aft, until I read the instructions you linked!
Very helpful!

Steve

Quick Reply: Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!