Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars ... shoot it to me straight :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Handlebars ... shoot it to me straight :)

I have a few questions on handlebars and what you guys might recommend.

I know I want them about the same height as my current bars (and chrome), which are the stock mini apes that are about 12" from my measurements (from bottom of the middle of the handlebars to the top of them going straight up). I want to change to some bars that are not wider than my FX forks. I would like for them to go straight up and then bend at the handlebar level. I would also roll them forward like my current bars and also run the wires internally. With keeping the bars the same height, I am hoping to not have to change any cables either. I am 5'10" so the 12" height seems to work....and they are on the stock 1" risers.

How hard is it to change bars and internally wire them? I can figure out how to take off the controls and so forth, that's not an issue. I would also like to add some braided cables when doing this also (or do the "cheap mod braided cable" that I saw in the Cheap Mods thread).

So bottom line is the stock bars are comfortable to me, but I want them to follow the lines of the front forks better and be able to internally wire the cables.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Just went and measured and actually they are 1-1/2" risers. I assume they are stock.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... I think you should consider going with 14 inch bars at least. The difference will be marginal from the 12's and 14 have never been high on anyone unless you are really short. It will give it a bit cooler look imo.

There are tons of options on bars and everyone has an opinion. budget is the first factor. You have BM, Hawg Halters, Carlini, Wild1, etc... you have to spend some time and research the style. So you would want to look at the base width, which would determine how it matches your base on your bike and then go from there. The other consider is bar width from grip to grip and also, pull back. I would go with at least 1 1/4 inch thick bars and low as possible risers. If you are sticking with stock risers, you need to make sure that bars are stepped down to 1 inch for risers to mount. I would try to avoid the stepping down depending on what you go with and get new risers.

As far as wiring and mounting. I would say it is not that hard and if you are mechanically inclined you can do it. It is not a beginners task and takes time and research and patience. It is up there with one of the harder things to do in order to do it right. You would need to pull tank, pull wires in harness, solder and heat wrap, and pulling it through is no joke either. You will also need to bleed front caliper and adjust throttle and idle cable correctly. Not trying to discourage, but just being a straight shooter and letting you know it is not an easy job, but it is doable if your a little bit of mechanically inclined. You will need service manual for model for little things like the clutch cable and things like that.

Let us know how it goes and good luck. As far as the braided lines go, Barnett's and Magnum are the leaders. I like Barnett's chrome braided better, but I went with magnum black pearl cables on this last one because Barnetts didn't have anything comparable.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I have a few questions on handlebars and what you guys might recommend.

I know I want them about the same height as my current bars (and chrome), which are the stock mini apes that are about 12" from my measurements (from bottom of the middle of the handlebars to the top of them going straight up). I want to change to some bars that are not wider than my FX forks. I would like for them to go straight up and then bend at the handlebar level. I would also roll them forward like my current bars and also run the wires internally. With keeping the bars the same height, I am hoping to not have to change any cables either. I am 5'10" so the 12" height seems to work....and they are on the stock 1" risers.

How hard is it to change bars and internally wire them? I can figure out how to take off the controls and so forth, that's not an issue. I would also like to add some braided cables when doing this also (or do the "cheap mod braided cable" that I saw in the Cheap Mods thread).

So bottom line is the stock bars are comfortable to me, but I want them to follow the lines of the front forks better and be able to internally wire the cables.
IMO if the stock bars are comfortable than leave it alone. Being 6'4" I went with 16" for comfort. If I were you I wouldnt do it till your ready to do it right and get all the correct stuff. Its a lot of work and you dont want to half *** it.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rockinred
Well... I think you should consider going with 14 inch bars at least. The difference will be marginal from the 12's and 14 have never been high on anyone unless you are really short. It will give it a bit cooler look imo.

There are tons of options on bars and everyone has an opinion. budget is the first factor. You have BM, Hawg Halters, Carlini, Wild1, etc... you have to spend some time and research the style. So you would want to look at the base width, which would determine how it matches your base on your bike and then go from there. The other consider is bar width from grip to grip and also, pull back. I would go with at least 1 1/4 inch thick bars and low as possible risers. If you are sticking with stock risers, you need to make sure that bars are stepped down to 1 inch for risers to mount. I would try to avoid the stepping down depending on what you go with and get new risers.

As far as wiring and mounting. I would say it is not that hard and if you are mechanically inclined you can do it. It is not a beginners task and takes time and research and patience. It is up there with one of the harder things to do in order to do it right. You would need to pull tank, pull wires in harness, solder and heat wrap, and pulling it through is no joke either. You will also need to bleed front caliper and adjust throttle and idle cable correctly. Not trying to discourage, but just being a straight shooter and letting you know it is not an easy job, but it is doable if your a little bit of mechanically inclined. You will need service manual for model for little things like the clutch cable and things like that.

Let us know how it goes and good luck. As far as the braided lines go, Barnett's and Magnum are the leaders. I like Barnett's chrome braided better, but I went with magnum black pearl cables on this last one because Barnetts didn't have anything comparable.
Wow, a lot more too it than I realized!

I don't have an issue with taking apart the controls, like the throttle cable or clutch cables....I have already done my 5000 mile service which includes adjusting those...so I could probably remove them and reassemble with no problem.

I would have an issue with any kind of wiring though, which is why I wanted to stay with my current height bars...in the hope that I could use my current cables. I would not feel comfortable solder and heat wrapping wires. I could probably pull them though and from what I am read, you can just unhooking the fuel line and slide the tank back to get to the wiring harness, right?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
IMO if the stock bars are comfortable than leave it alone. Being 6'4" I went with 16" for comfort. If I were you I wouldnt do it till your ready to do it right and get all the correct stuff. Its a lot of work and you dont want to half *** it.
Yea, I didn't realize I would need to change my risers also. There is definitely more to it than I thought.

I just really, really want to have internally wired lines and have my bars line up with my forks. Do yours line up with yours at the bottom of the bars?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are wanting to go with internal wiring, but not comfortable with doing it yourself, there are a few retailers that sell ape style handlebars with everything already installed. All you have to do is unbolt the old and bolt on the new. Check out Demon's Cycle, www.demonscycle.com and you'll see what I'm referring too.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by StuxnetKiller
If you are wanting to go with internal wiring, but not comfortable with doing it yourself, there are a few retailers that sell ape style handlebars with everything already installed. All you have to do is unbolt the old and bolt on the new. Check out Demon's Cycle, www.demonscycle.com and you'll see what I'm referring too.
Oh nice! I will check that out! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
Yea, I didn't realize I would need to change my risers also. There is definitely more to it than I thought.

I just really, really want to have internally wired lines and have my bars line up with my forks. Do yours line up with yours at the bottom of the bars?
Yes my bars line up with my forks. If internal is what you want to do then you will need to drill your bars, remove the tank, un pin the wires from the connector under the tank and feed the wires through the holes you made then re connect in the connector. Its a lot of work still but really cleans up the bars.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yes my bars line up with my forks. If internal is what you want to do then you will need to drill your bars, remove the tank, un pin the wires from the connector under the tank and feed the wires through the holes you made then re connect in the connector. Its a lot of work still but really cleans up the bars.
I thought about doing that to my stock bars but wouldn't it screw up the chrome pretty bad if I start drilling on them? I also already have those small holes already in the bars where to connectors hold the wires on the bars. Wouldn't that look kinda goofy having those without having anything connecting to them?

Quick Reply: Handlebars ... shoot it to me straight :)