Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 deluxe with 1000 miles back in shop...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012 | 01:47 PM
dstiger
Advanced

Wow- I would have suggested first that it was probably OEM new residue, giving the benefit of the doubt to the Motor Company- but on a new 1000 mile motor to have the base gasket leak- I would not have guessed that. I have owned 3 Harley motor Buells and a Sportster on top of that- never, NEVER an issue with the motor, and I hammer on them. Always 100% never an issue.

I have put 3600 miles on my 2012 Slim- it is performing as all the others so far- no issues, except for all of the turnsignals were loose when I got the bike.

If that were me- and my new slim, I would be very disheartened! Good for you to keep your calm on it.

Steve

Old 09-03-2012 | 05:45 PM
zak98
|
Advanced

still seeing some leaking... according to the dealer they have to oil up the gaskets and o-rings.. they said some leaking of that oil is expected when they are replaced. said to clean off and keep track of it. if it is still seeping after about 500 miles.. let them know and they will go to the moco for the next step. so the saga continues. it is much less than what was going on prior to the base oring and gasket changeout.

Old 10-14-2012 | 09:38 AM
zak98
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by JRL1164
Be mindful of that. Watch it like a hawk. Thought the same thing with mine. After 1000 mile service thought my rear base gasket was leaking actually turned out to be the case. Turned out that that particular area didn't have any sealer causing it to leak. Watch it though it ended up taking 3 trips to the dealer till mine finally got resolved.
yep! sent mine back in.. case "pry hole" at top of case was leaking as well. so they sealed it up.. hopefully that does it for the issues!

Old 10-14-2012 | 10:04 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

I guess Moco is still lacking on Q/C.

Old 10-14-2012 | 03:50 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Ewww, yea not good and watch it closely. I would also take it back after a few hundred miles to get it snugged up back tight.

Old 10-14-2012 | 08:22 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

I had the spoke issue with my wife's 2012 Heritage, but no motor problems.

Old 10-16-2012 | 06:04 PM
VinnyM
Road Master

Any update on your base leak? I bought a new 13 Streetglide and it's doing the same thing, I was hoping it was just assembly lube but after 150 miles again today it's still leaking the same.

Old 11-06-2012 | 02:10 PM
zak98
|
Advanced

base weeping seems to be fixed.. about 200 miles later oil was leaking from the case pry hole. back in. they filled up pry hole with case cement and cleaned off everything. seems to be ok, but only about 150 miles on it since that last service. so we shall see.

Old 12-02-2012 | 06:45 AM
zak98
|
Advanced
Question back in shop again

well after sealing up the pry hole with case sealant (last service) to stop oil from coming out of case pry hole...after about 200 miles; a 30mile ride the day before thanksgiving i noticed some bubbling from the seam between the pry hole and the rear cylinder at the seam on the case. dealer called harley, said to get it in and crack the case. check it out.

so the dealer did that. no case cement in several places, but the case itself did not exhibit any porosity. so they are delivering the bike back tomorrow. third time it has been in.

one item of note. wheeping at the base of cylinders is not considered a leak by harley (or at least that is what i was told). so not really covered under warrantee.

so we shall see what happens next. i am hoping that the lack of case sealant was the main issue. sounds like really poor QC on the motor companies part....

Old 12-02-2012 | 06:56 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by zak98
well after sealing up the pry hole with case sealant (last service) to stop oil from coming out of case pry hole...after about 200 miles; a 30mile ride the day before thanksgiving i noticed some bubbling from the seam between the pry hole and the rear cylinder at the seam on the case. dealer called harley, said to get it in and crack the case. check it out.

so the dealer did that. no case cement in several places, but the case itself did not exhibit any porosity. so they are delivering the bike back tomorrow. third time it has been in.

one item of note. wheeping at the base of cylinders is not considered a leak by harley (or at least that is what i was told). so not really covered under warrantee.

so we shall see what happens next. i am hoping that the lack of case sealant was the main issue. sounds like really poor QC on the motor companies part....
All I know is is that you need to stay on top of this and do some research. It is not a unique problem (however, not a common one either) but it is a defect. This is not a shovelhead floor greaser...

C#

Quick Reply: 2012 deluxe with 1000 miles back in shop...