Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Playing Legos With New Models?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:00 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior
Default HD Playing Legos With New Models?

This is the third year I got to witness the new models being rolled out. Is it me or is HD playing it financially safe and slapping together existing catalogs parts and calling it a new model? Sure there are a few new parts but in my short love affair with the Harley, I am already bored with them playing Lego blocks. The Slim is the only model that grabbed my imagination in the last couple years...only reason is that it's an great blank canvas to personalize a softail bar hopper with. Meh.

To the old school riders, what're your thoughts? Has it always been like this? And how does HD come up with their new models....a few beers staring at their own catalogs? Or do they actually do market studies on what customers want?

Anyways, in a short time I am already appreciating the past gems that no longer roll out.

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:14 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

The reason Harley Davidson sells so many bikes is they know their buyer market. They go to the big rallies and look at what owners and builders are trending and try to give what they think buyers want.
My 1986 FXSTC looks very similar to what is offered today.

In 2005, the Road King Custom almost got me into the dealership to buy a new bike... almost.
The 2008 FXCWC had me put a deposit on one almost a year before I took ownership of it. Almost 22 years to the day between new bikes.
I hang onto my bikes and don't feel a need to sell/trade every couple of years.
I'm not who HD is trying to get into the dealership.

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:15 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Agreed, but... I am kinda liking this version of the Deluxe!

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:34 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kowan
The reason Harley Davidson sells so many bikes is they know their buyer market. They go to the big rallies and look at what owners and builders are trending and try to give what they think buyers want.
My 1986 FXSTC looks very similar to what is offered today.

In 2005, the Road King Custom almost got me into the dealership to buy a new bike... almost.
The 2008 FXCWC had me put a deposit on one almost a year before I took ownership of it. Almost 22 years to the day between new bikes.
I hang onto my bikes and don't feel a need to sell/trade every couple of years.
I'm not who HD is trying to get into the dealership.
Fair enough. If HD looks at rally's to get vibes and trends from, then I assume most riders are not aftermarket savy...and in turn go for a few changes instead of game changer concepts? It didn't take long to stray from the HD cataloge and make my bike my own. Thanx to these forums and the Internet, I may have also kept my mods inside the box in respect to imagining. I look at our local meet as an example. 99% of the questions from other riders are about my pipes....I have to introduce the other mods myself. Therefore, the limited knowledge on aftermarkets and their effect on our bikes are not noticed nearly that they are here in the community. Hence apples and oranges.

I may be off on trying to understand HD's approach and mindset...but only trying to understand what gives when it comes to their new models.

Old 08-22-2012 | 12:13 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Your bike started as a Heritage. Willie G rode a prototype Fatboy to Sturgis.
A Heritage less bags windshield and solid mag wheels.
It was well received and the Fatboy was born.
HD blacked out a Fatboy and called it the Lo.

They've been doing it for years.

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:11 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

And I think that if they come up with one or two new bikes a decade that sell well that's all they need, and the rest of their bikes will sell fine too.

So if you figure they have the lo and they can get by with that for the next few years, then they'll come out with something else that will carry them

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:12 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain

I for one appreciate that they stick with a set formula and retain the heritage. It's what makes the models such classics. You know it's a Harley a mile away.

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:15 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Originally Posted by yzergod
Agreed, but... I am kinda liking this version of the Deluxe!

Sweet!

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:48 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2011Deluxe
Sweet!
I saw that Deluxe in the new catalog and really liked it too but the thing is only showcasing new parts that MOCO is offering for 2013. Its not a different bike by any means. Its all bolt ons right out of the catalog but it does look sweet.

Old 08-22-2012 | 05:46 PM
Pystov
Cruiser

My last Harley was a Heritage. The bike I have now is a Heritage. The next Harley I'm planning on buying will be a Heritage. None of them look, or will look like the previous bike. When I want a different style, I'll put it together myself. I'm perfectly happy with that. I would rather ride a bike that is "me" rather than something that "Harley Davidson" told me was cool.

Quick Reply: HD Playing Legos With New Models?