Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Centered Are Your Samson Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:33 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior
Default How Centered Are Your Samson Duals?

Maybe I am being very picky. But one pipe sits against the bike differently than the other causing around a 1" difference between wheels and pipes. Therefore not centered perfectly. We did some ajustments to cheat the eye, where we closed the difference to 1/2" without showing a noticeable bend at the muffler joint.

To those with Samson duals, how perfect is your centre to the pipes? I hate to pull off the pipes and try again w/ modifying.

Here's a pic to give ya a sense...

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:41 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

ive seen several pics of bikes with samsons that looked like the left side pipe was closer to the centerline than the right side...just never said anything because i didnt want anyone obsessing about it lol, but since you've noticed yours...

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:46 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
ive seen several pics of bikes with samsons that looked like the left side pipe was closer to the centerline than the right side...just never said anything because i didnt want anyone obsessing about it lol, but since you've noticed yours...
Ya in my case the left sticks out more. And same, I seen some cholos with the same thing.

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:49 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

in your picture, the left side looks closer to the wheel than the right, maybe its the angle?

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:51 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

thats one thing ive noticed about Harleys. Lots of things dont line up. If I put a laser line through the center of my tank, it doesnt line up with the middle of my bars, and one passing lamp is closer to the headlight bucket than the other...but dont tell anyone

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:58 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior

thats one thing ive noticed about Harleys. Lots of things dont line up. If I put a laser line through the center of my tank, it doesnt line up with the middle of my bars, and one passing lamp is closer to the headlight bucket than the other...but dont tell anyone
Haha I am starting to believe that also. I had the shop bend one pipe bracket to help centre the pipes. They said something is odd with the centre of the back tire to the rest of the bike and in turn would of been noticeable with the rear fender without bending one of the brackets.

And ya probably the angle.

Edit...

So I just came from the garage to check something fast. Sure enough. The fender is not centered to the tire perfectly due to struts...in turn out about 1/8". Struts look straight and centered to the tank by eye. Good thing RWD made the fender exactly 9.25"..or Houston we may have problem to rubbing.

Last edited by Josewales; 08-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2012 | 10:10 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

all kinds of little things goin on. I took my rear fender off when I installed my new rear fender so that I could disconnect the turn signals and wire harness, then when I put it back on, all the strut bolts lined up perfectly, but when I put the seat back on, the rear seat bolt was farther back than before because the tongue on the front of the seat barely goes into the slot on the frame. Now how can that be when I didnt even loosen the front strut bolts so I know that the struts didnt move?

Old 08-19-2012 | 10:16 AM
Josewales
|
Road Warrior

all kinds of little things goin on. I took my rear fender off when I installed my new rear fender so that I could disconnect the turn signals and wire harness, then when I put it back on, all the strut bolts lined up perfectly, but when I put the seat back on, the rear seat bolt was farther back than before because the tongue on the front of the seat barely goes into the slot on the frame. Now how can that be when I didnt even loosen the front strut bolts so I know that the struts didnt move?
Hey I had the same thing happen to me...first attempt, the seat didn't fit perfect, so I loosened the fender strut bolts only and snugged it forward. Made a difference...still the seat doesnt fit perfectly, but good enough.

Btw thanx input buddy.

Old 08-19-2012 | 11:36 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

anytime bro, thats why we're here. Now get out and ride that thang...man I need to find a sitter for my new woman. She just got to Colo from Philly a few months ago and doesnt know anyone, so I havent ridden much since we hooked up...perfect day for it today...highs in the low 80's...its been mid to upper 90's all summer so Im ready for a ride where im not sweating *****.

Old 08-19-2012 | 12:08 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Mine are off to the left too. I had a hell of a time trying to get them perfect and just said f it its close enough after about 2 hours yanking on the left side and popping the joint apart about 10 times. Each time I had to re high temp RTV it, pretty frustrating since I'm the kind of person that obsesses about that kind of thing. Not 1 person has noticed even after I point it out to them so I let it slide. I don't remember the difference but its somewhere near 1/2"

Quick Reply: How Centered Are Your Samson Duals?