Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting (Sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hard Starting (Sometimes)

I have an 09 FLSTC with rush slip-ons, K&N Air filter and VIED's. Last Sunday I was getting ready to go ride and moved the bike from the shed over to near the house. I noticed it took 3 try's to start it. When I actually went to leave for the ride it took 4 try's and it backfired on the 3 try. I decided to see how it ran and rode down to the gas station where I was to meet everyone. After I gassed up it took another 3 tries to get it started. After it starts it runs fine. So my buddy and I decided to check a few things like plugs wires etc. I tried it again and it started just fine and started fine the rest of the day.

I brought it home and put it in my shop and started going down the check list in the service manual. I have checked all the connections under the seat and to the coil. I replaced the plug's and double checked the coil wires. one of the items on the T/S checklist is ignition sensor's but it does not list the sensor's involved. My question are the O2 sensors involve with the starting process and if so could the VIED's be causing a problem?

Last month I was on the way up to the Tenn. Ridgerunner Rally and we got caught in a bad storm and I had to ride through standing water higher then I had ever ridden through before and my buddy's said the same thing. The front VIED is pretty low on the front frame and I'm pretty sure it went under water. I didn't get to ride much through July so I'm just now riding more.

Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated. Thank

Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
dgkurilkojr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know for sure if this could be your problem but i had a hard start problem a while back and it was all because my compensator bolt had loosened up. also, not sure how you start your bike but i used to have my bike in gear with the clutch in and it would hard start a little in lieu of starting it in nuetral (not sure if that was why or not could have been a coincidence).

Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master

Thanks, I start it in Neutral the majority of the time. I let the pump run and the console lights go out then hit the starter button. The first start of the day I run through my checks of turn signal's, break light, horn etc then start it up.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Another issue that is causing a lot of problems,, Mine did it last summer, is the hole in the gas line.

Mine would cough, sputter and miss and even die if I keep ridding long enough, about 100 miles after filling the tank..

Fill the tank up and she'd be perfect for around another 100 miles..

If U haven't had Ur filter "GAS" that is changed then U should thing about doing it anyway and have Ur hose's changed while in there....

Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try removing the VIEDs and see if the hard starting goes away.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

Are you holding the start button down till it's running on both cylinders. A V-Twin is different then a car 4,6,8 cylinder that the timing is slightly off as to when you let off the start button. I realize you do not want to stay on button too long but you do need to let a FI get started on first cranking. If you get off too quick and then do it again it gets too much gas. I am surprised at 4 you did not have to open throttle for it to get some air to start. Four false starts and backfire will be the norm. When it gets cold if you ride all year requires even a longer hold start down. I was assuming your 09 is FI

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-17-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master

yes it is an FI. I bought it new and have not had any trouble up till now. As far as holding the starter button down I don't think I'm doing anything different then I have been. I crank it until I hear the motor running. It usually pops off right away. Tonight I had to move the bike to it's shed and when I went to start it if fire but died on the first start and on the second try it fired up.

I think I will pull the VIED's and see if that makes any difference. I was wondering at what point do the O2 sensors come into play. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A weak battery can cause similar issues as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

It's is in open loop till it warms up and then oxygen sensors take over

Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Check your IAC (idle air control) pintle for 10 seconds after ignition off.
Supposed to extend and then retract. This one could be dirty and giving you problems.

There is also an "Intake Air Temperature Sensor" that could mess up starting.

According to the diagnostic manual could also be some corrosion on the terminals of the plug into your ECM

Another thing they mention is a dirty, loose or broken crank position sensor

All the other checks mentioned in the manual apart from battery, spark plugs, connectors, and fuel need special equipment ...

Quick Reply: Hard Starting (Sometimes)