Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting (Sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 Heritage with VIED's on it also. I still run the stock A/C but have put mufflers from an 07 on it. (no cat in it) Sometimes mine is hard to start. I'm thinking it's a weak battery. On a cold start up does the starter hesitate to turn the motor over? Mine does so I think I'll be getting a new battery soon. I have a question for ya. Before I put the VIED's on, when the bike was at idle, it would not miss one stoke. It was a steady "putt,putt,putt,putt. Now with the VIED's it will miss a little at idle. I'm thinking its normal but wondering if its because I have increased the fuel but still have the same air intake with the stock A/C. Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the reply's. My buddy suggested a weak battery as well but when I hit the starter it sounds strong and the engine is turning over at a good rate. I do keep it on a battery tender when not in use.

Rkthi: I will check the items you mentioned. Are you using the service manual or another manual? The service manual I have just mentioned sensors but didn't state which one's which lead me to post this. When I was check the connections I checked the ECM to ensure it was tight but I didn't pull it, I'll check it for corrosion.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
Thanks for all the reply's. My buddy suggested a weak battery as well but when I hit the starter it sounds strong and the engine is turning over at a good rate. I do keep it on a battery tender when not in use.

Rkthi: I will check the items you mentioned. Are you using the service manual or another manual? The service manual I have just mentioned sensors but didn't state which one's which lead me to post this. When I was check the connections I checked the ECM to ensure it was tight but I didn't pull it, I'll check it for corrosion.
The info comes out of the 2009 electrical diagnostic manual, they got a 4 page flow chart in there on what to check when engine cranks but doesn't start.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
The info comes out of the 2009 electrical diagnostic manual, they got a 4 page flow chart in there on what to check when engine cranks but doesn't start.
Thanks Rakthi, I see a new manual in my future.