Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is the ABS / Security option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:07 PM
dloreski
|
Cruiser
Default How important is the ABS / Security option?

I'm a newbie to street bikes and want to buy a new Fatboy Lo.
I'm finding that many of the models in stock don't have this option.
Would you buy one without it?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:11 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer

Some it's very, some it's not.

To me (and many), I won't own, buy, ride without ABS. Security, eh, but I like not having to use a key.

I think ABS is the way of the future and without it, the price when selling will have to be heavily discounted.

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:15 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default + 1

Originally Posted by Esuomm1
Some it's very, some it's not.

To me (and many), I won't own, buy, ride without ABS. Security, eh, but I like not having to use a key.

I think ABS is the way of the future and without it, the price when selling will have to be heavily discounted.
Panic stops without ABS are the worst - it'll go left with a rear wheel lockup most times.

Security - I like it with two Radio Shack sirens / $14 / wired in. Way loud.

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:22 PM
tq745
Tourer

i guess it depends on how you ride and what type of weather you're riding in. i don't have abs and if given the choice i wouldn't spend the extra money on it...but with that said i don't feel the need to be riding at high speeds and it also helps that i live in hawaii where the weather is nice 95% of the time, and i always give myselft ample time to break. never been in a situation where i had to slam on the brakes and hopefully i never have to be in that position.

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:31 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

Doesn't mean much to me since I've never had it. Read good things about it though.

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:36 PM
sprinklerape
Cruiser

People have been riding HD motorcycles for over 100 years without ABS. It is a great new feature but not a deal breaker IMO.

Old 08-15-2012 | 06:59 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think its crap that HD packages the ABS and security system together. I would take the security system and leave the abs on the shelf..

Old 08-15-2012 | 07:06 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Never had it .....but now that i have it.... would never want to be without it.....love it

Old 08-15-2012 | 07:06 PM
JRL1164
Cruiser

After having my bike without either of them. Looking back I wish I had invested in it. ABS a great feature to have when you need it for stability and control. And security I in case you forget to lock it. Having the fob and just to be able to walk away and it arms itself and unarms itself when you walk back up to I think is great. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-15-2012 | 07:21 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

I have it and will never own another bike without it. The only crash I ever had was 24 years ago when, inexperienced as I was, I locked up both front and back, lost control and laid it down. I'm sure that if ABS was on that bike back then, I would have been able to stop without crashing.
Since then, I have had an emergency stops with and without ABS. There is no comparison in how much control, and confidence ABS provides. I think it will be on all bikes in a few years.

Quick Reply: How important is the ABS / Security option?