Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a dry pavement burnout on a Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Doing a dry pavement burnout on a Rocker

Haven't ever done one on a bike with that large a rear tire and that small a front, except using water at the drag strip.

Questions:
Will the front tire and front brake hold it?
Will it do anything strange, like the rear tire grab instead of spinning, and pitch me off the back?
Will it break parts?

Any tips from anyone who has this down?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you do it?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I saw several in Sturgis. But I agree with the previous post, Why?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Why would you do it?
Reason 1: To scare little old ladies.
Reason 2: I wear a helmet, so I need to do something badass to make up for it.
Reason 3: None of the other parents do it when they pick up their kids from school.

Just kidding. The biggest reason is that kids LOVE it! And I remember how much I loved it when I was a kid, whether it was a car or a motorcycle.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Good thing he didn't ask if he should do it. It's his bike and his cash, and more power to him if he wants to. Personally I wouldn't do it, but I love watching it.

It'll probably wreak havoc on your front brakes.

Most of the time when I've seen this, if the surface was dry, it was rather slick - like a garage or shop. But if it's straight up concrete or asphalt, then it might be best to have make sure you are standing and maybe have some life the back end a bit to make sure it doesn't grab.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and I have to ask why not------------------a burnout is a burnout .And as far as your questions they can be answered with 2 words IT DEPENDS,IF it grabs so hard it pitches you off the back you probably shouldn't of had a ORCA motor at this stage of the game is the only variable to the answer first given

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Reason 3: None of the other parents do it when they pick up their kids from school.
Now that's funny!

I drop my son (10 years old) off at school once and a while on the bike and he loves it. And he's the only one that gets dropped off on a bike that I've ever seen.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
Now that's funny!

I drop my son (10 years old) off at school once and a while on the bike and he loves it. And he's the only one that gets dropped off on a bike that I've ever seen.

I wouldn't do burnouts on my bike just cause its too expensive to replace tires and the excessive noise ticket. Had my fun when I was younger, burning out tires and generally wrecking vehicles. I got other avenues to put money out other than replacing needless juvenile antics.

My 11 year old just loves when I drop him off at school on the bike. It has to be at the front door and he doesn't let me shut the bike off while I'm picking him up or dropping him off, guess its the nanny nanny boo boo look how I'm getting to school and he makes sure all the other kids know that he is the only one who gets to ride on the bike to school that I've seen.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Just be careful of fork flex. You have to just drump the clutch and hammer the throttlw and hope for the best. If you try and feather it out your front forks will flex and your front cylinder may blow out the tire from the heat. If you're using nitrogen, it'll be equivalent to a small nitrogen bomb.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
camo36
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just do a burnout and find out. hell, it's just a burnout. i do them alot, not gonna break anything... mine pushes the front tire sometimes, sometimes it doesnt, depends on the road surface.

Front brake has never let me down! worst comes to worst, put it up against a curb and smoke it.

the thing is, if you're gonna do it, you gotta be committed to it, can't be half *** holdin on the brake and on the throttle, if you're not committed, thats when you get thrown off the back or dump it or somethin.

and you'll know that much more about your bike, and your son will be the kid with the cool dad who does burnouts...win win.

Quick Reply: Doing a dry pavement burnout on a Rocker