Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn- Take Night Train New Direction or Sell for a Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012 | 11:28 PM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior
Default Torn- Take Night Train New Direction or Sell for a Street Glide

Need to hear some opinions guys. Just got done putting 12" Santee apes with 1.5" risers and a Le Pera Bare Bones seat on my '06 Train. Looks sweat and feels perfect riding. Put 3" ext forward controls on too and being 6'4" this setup is perfect. But here is the catch. It's getting really old not being able to carry anything with on long rides and guessing what to wear for the ride. It would be really nice to bring a long sleeve shirt along if it gets cold out or whatever. And the bare bones seat looks awesome and feels good until 50 miles of ricky and my tailbone kills. After riding close to 180 miles recently I was in a lot of pain and at one point during the riding I went numb from the waist down not cool. The stock seat is not much better either. I have always loved the look of the Street Glide a bare bones bagger and I love stripped down bikes so bes of both worlds. Kind of a easy way to ease into the bagger world. But had this idea today. Give my Train a diff look and feel. A vintage one.
Add a Mustang Vintage Solo. Had one on my older WG I had. Looked good but felt even better. Was a very comfy seat. And hey I could always put the bare bones on in two secs for that hot rod look.
Add some vintage grips.
Add a solo swing arm bag so I can carry some more stuff that won't fit in the tool bag on my bars.
Add a rear fender bib.

What do you guys think? Am I just crazy? Think my bike can pull of this look? Here are some pics of it as it sits now.

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:09 AM
onefastcorvette
Tourer
Talking

Can you get a Street Glide AND keep the Train?

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:12 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by onefastcorvette
Can you get a Street Glide AND keep the Train?
Good question.

If ya gotta chose I say the SG but I may be biased?

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:28 AM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

Wish I could keep both guys but can't. Ah so so so torn. Could sell my bike and get a used SG for about the price I could sell the train for. I'm sure a new seat will make the bike really comfy and the bars are perfect and so are the forwards so down to seat comfort just not sure if it will all look right on a train. Can't seem to find any pics of train with a vintage solo..... Ah choices could be worse things to "worry" about I guess.

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:43 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Didn't we just go through this very similar thread with the other guy who ended up getting his Train ripped off right after deciding to keep it vs getting a SG

ps; aren't you both leo's ? If your bike gets stolen - we all know you guys have some kind of 5.0 bike theft ring going on lol

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:46 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Here is how I see it: I know I'm going to pour money into a bike I'll never come close to getting out of it. So I'd better pick the right bike I'm not gonna wanna sell, b4 I dump the money. So to me the real question is, will the Train continue to do what you need a bike to do? If not you need a new canvas...

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:51 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Now on a serious note, (keeping the Train) you could always get the larger 5" swingarm bag from Leatherworks, and there is also the Bandits Bedroll option for longer trips.

Old 08-13-2012 | 12:54 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Midgard
Didn't we just go through this very similar thread with the other guy who ended up getting his Train ripped off right after deciding to keep it vs getting a SG

ps; aren't you both leo's ? If your bike gets stolen - we all know you guys have some kind of 5.0 bike theft ring going on lol
I remember that thread! He was also thinking SG. That thread died, I wonder what ended up happening.

Old 08-13-2012 | 01:02 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dew Me
I remember that thread! He was also thinking SG. That thread died, I wonder what ended up happening.

Well after his bike got ripped, he was still deciding what route to take and maybe getting "a little too much online input" plus he had to wait like 30 days to get the insurance cheque - few people suggested he stay off the forum for a couple weeks and just decide what route he wants to take when he was ready and he agreed. Hopefully he shows back up with a new ride soon!

Old 08-13-2012 | 01:06 AM
CSS_FXD
|
Road Warrior

Yeah JY Kelly had a same thread well kinda.....and it sounds like he loves his SG. And no I'm not a LEO.....anymore. I was one for a short time and now I'm in a completely different line of work and love life now lol. Anyway.....bottom line is this I love my Train its a hot rod setup just perfect. Have not seen one like it around here even. But it cost me a lot of cash and still owe a lot on it. And I have this feeling im paying a lot of money on a bike that there really is not much to it and can't really do much with it. Sure it's fun to go on 1/2 around town rides and look cool but is it worth all the money it will cost me. With a SG you can still have a great looking bike for around town rides and still a lot of bike for long rides. Guess I know what I need to do. Sell the Train buy a SG.

Quick Reply: Torn- Take Night Train New Direction or Sell for a Street Glide