Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change frequency

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:25 AM
WidowDeuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change frequency

I just got the 1000 mile service done and the dealership told me that since I did not upgrade to Synthetic that I need to change the oil every 1000-1500 miles. That really doesnt seem right to me. I am planning on changing it myself from now on at aboutevery 2500 but will do it earlier if needed. Has anybody else heard of this or is the dealer just trying to get more money from me? Thanks for any inputs

Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Oil change frequency

I think he's trying to hose you. According to the manual the first oil change should be done at 1000 miles. Then the next is due at 5000 miles, next is 10,000 and then its every 5000 after that.
I would, and will be doing mine every 2500 same as you, I let them put in Syn 3 for the first 1000 miles check, but I plan on usingMobile 1 for V-Twinsfrom now on.

BTW Nowhere in the manual does it say anything about changing dyno oil any more often thanthe synthetic stuff. In fact it doesn't say anything about synthetic oil at all.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 AM
WidowDeuce
Advanced

That's basically what I thought but he was trying to convince me that the oil needed changed more often. When I asked him about the manual he told me that is for people who don't ride their bikes as often as I do. That is the last time that dealer will touch my bike!

Old 01-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I think he's trying to hose you. According to the manual the first oil change should be done at 1000 miles. Then the next is due at 5000 miles, next is 10,000 and then its every 5000 after that.
I would, and will be doing mine every 2500 same as you, I let them put in Syn 3 for the first 1000 miles check, but I plan on usingMobile 1 for V-Twinsfrom now on.

BTW Nowhere in the manual does it say anything about changing dyno oil any more often thanthe synthetic stuff. In fact it doesn't say anything about synthetic oil at all.
Are you switching because Mobile 1 is cheaper or have you heard good things about it?

Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF is it with these dealers? I hear more and more of these stories. Years ago, they were the authority on Harley Davidson, now they are just ****** for MOCO. Their "stores" apperals department is larger than the showroom sellling everything from coffee to underware.. I've been riding since 1978 and never been much of a mechanic. I've always relied on dealers advice.There are still good dealers (or salespersons) out there but fewer and fewer. I now do my own research (from sites like here) and then tell the dealer what I want.

More folks are changing their oil between 2500 - 5000 miles. Then there's the synthetic vs non-synthetic issure.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WidowDeuce

I just got the 1000 mile service done and the dealership told me that since I did not upgrade to Synthetic that I need to change the oil every 1000-1500 miles. That really doesnt seem right to me. I am planning on changing it myself from now on at aboutevery 2500 but will do it earlier if needed. Has anybody else heard of this or is the dealer just trying to get more money from me? Thanks for any inputs
When I was at the dealership around the time of my 1000 mile service, I commented that I was just under 1200 miles and needed to get my service done. I was told that as long as I did it before 1500 I would be OK.

I am sure they are conservative when writing the manual. I am not suggesting that you tempt fate or anything. But I, personally, wouldn't go out of my way to increase the frequency of my oil changes.

On a side note, I leased a new BMW( car, not bike) in 2003. They require synthetic oil, and changes every 15000 miles. They WILL NOT do a change before that. I know we are comparing apples to oranges here, but I thought it was interesting.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

but I plan on usingMobile 1 for V-Twinsfrom now on.
I have been using Syn 3, but have also heard that Amzoil is supposed to be better too. Maybe I'll do some research before I do my next change and make a switch. After I use up the cache of Syn 3 I have in the garage first, of course.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:50 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

[/quote]

I have been using Syn 3, but have also heard that Amzoil is supposed to be better too. Maybe I'll do some research before I do my next change and make a switch. After I use up the cache of Syn 3 I have in the garage first, of course.

[/quote]

Yes do your research, however you will find the oil discussion Amsoil v Mobil to be like the Ford v Chevy discussion.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really know what their service for non-synthetic oil is, but I would change it more frequently if I ran dyno-oil in it. Harley engines cause a lot of heat, as you that have been stuck in traffic know. Synthetic is will not break down as quick as conventional oil, withstanding higher temps. I won't wait 5000 miles on synthetic, I change it every 2500. With conventional oil, probibly 1500 if it were me.

It was probibly just a recomondation. I would do it myself.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
texfatboy
Cruiser

As for the bike - every 2500 miles no matter what kind of oil.

To Dave:
As a 25+ yr veteran BMW mechanic, I would NEVERleave oil in my engine for 15000 miles no matter what BMW/the dealer says. Change it yourself, keep receipts, or take it somewhere and have it done at least every 7500 miles. I've seen engines that were totally sludged up(stopped up oil pumps)in cars where people went by that German bible (aka owners manual).

Quick Reply: Oil change frequency