Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the rental at HD in Gatlinburg

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012 | 02:40 AM
2XNightTrain
|
Road Master
Default Did the rental at HD in Gatlinburg

Learned a few things-

The 103 isn't all it is cracked up to be IMHO regarding power.

Needs to have an option to lower the seat height if considering a long term purchase IMHO.

The fairing was nice and the windshielf took a few miles to get used to compared to my NT which does not have this option.

The bags were nice to have for stowing my goodies from Deal's Gap.

On your toes to balance this sort of machine is not recommended unless you work out. Water (rain) and unlevel ground make this bike something you should be cautious to ride if you have never ridden one of the Street Glide weight. My Train is low, really low with the adjustable stock slammed down for cruising. It is a good 140 or so pounds less in weight as well.

Light rain though is doable on this bike without getting drenched. My credit to the fairing on that as well as the larger front fender.

I enjoyed the radio while riding The Dragon. There happened to be some Lynyrd Skynyrd playing as I went up the mountain today. I think it helped my riding LOL.

Gas mileage was adequate.

For the folks who have this bike, it is not a personal attack, but just my opinion.

My wife did this for my upcoming Bday present since I decided not to ride up to Gburg and to help her make the drive.

I now know that I am not really anywhere near wanting to move from my Train (unless I keep it and could afford another bike- a huge negative) for a bagger/full dresser. I like the look of my NT with the denim black, loud pipes, slammed look when the air ride is completely down etc.

If I did go that route I think the Road Glide would be more my style.

Old 08-12-2012 | 03:07 AM
01ntrainultra
Advanced

Just sold my 01 back in the spring. Missed that bike the day after it left. Had a LOT of good times on it.

Rented a Streetglide 2 summers ago for a weekend, and I could never get that thing out of my mind.

Bought an 02 Ultra a few weeks ago that's a bit of a project, but I intend on making it unique to me, just like the Night Train was.

Old 08-12-2012 | 07:45 AM
lupus
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2XNightTrain
Learned a few things-

Agree you there. It's smooth power but feels 'weak' for 103". IMHO of course. I hear cams help.

Old 08-12-2012 | 11:23 AM
Microbomb
Cruiser

What did you rent? Street Glide? I've got a Slim and I am pretty sure my next bike will be a Street or Road Glide. Maybe a Road King. Slim is amazing but longer distance rides are uncomfortable. If they make any of those bike in all denim with the 103b then I'm in.

Old 08-12-2012 | 11:31 AM
2XNightTrain
|
Road Master

Street Glide...

Old 08-12-2012 | 11:42 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

As for the 103 last one had TC96 it was ok the 103 two up loaded down had a lot more torque on the lower endI pput a lot of miles on the bikes and on a lot of the same roads.
Stayed in Gatlinburg back in May for two weeks of riding the area it was so good going back to Maggie valley to stay and ride this coming may.

Old 08-12-2012 | 02:50 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Learned a few things-

The 103 has more TQ than the 96. About the same amount of HP. Your better off with a 103 and a nice cam than a 96 and a nice cam. Stock Harleys are slow in general.

Old 08-12-2012 | 03:10 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior

Street Glide...
You must be rather short if you have a hard time reaching the ground on a Street Glide. They even have a 1" shorter shock than say an Ultra. Everything you mentioned is easily adjustable for your riding style once you decide to make the change. Like all Harleys you just have to "personalize" it a bit.

Old 08-12-2012 | 03:16 PM
lupus
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyArcher
You must be rather short if you have a hard time reaching the ground on a Street Glide. They even have a 1" shorter shock than say an Ultra. Everything you mentioned is easily adjustable for your riding style once you decide to make the change. Like all Harleys you just have to "personalize" it a bit.
Road glide in black is sweet. Nice ride.

Old 08-14-2012 | 05:48 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by HarleyArcher

I'll agree like "MOST Harleys" u have to personalize them to fit U.

Said it many times in here that our Heritage fits me like it was made just for me. Its the best fitting bike (ERGO wise)of all the bikes I've owned. Didn't have to or need to change anything with the bars on the front seating area or floorboards.

I'll add that the rear stock pillion seat sucked, but the touring seat and sissy bar pad with floorboards helped the wife's comfort, Big Time, for her.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-14-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Did the rental at HD in Gatlinburg