Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 2000 - 2003 Night Train Too Old

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012 | 08:34 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbear1
I am looking to get my first Harley. The ones in my price range seem to be from the 2000 to 2003 model years. I did search the site and know that these have the 88 engine, 5 speed and smaller rear tire. Is the EFI reliable on these earlier injection systems. Should I be concerned about reliability of a bike over 10 years old?

I want to spend my time riding in the summer, not fixing the bike. The other option is to wait a little longer and save up more money.
................ ......

Yer sh*t'n,huh?......
Think the dude said this's a '32.....an' he don't treat it 'special'....all around go-get'n kind'a thing....was pick'n up some dogfood,etc.....still got the original brakes in it....far as he knew......

(dunno who the broad is.....ain't mine,hahaha.....)

Attached Thumbnails Is a 2000 - 2003 Night Train Too Old-img_0031.jpg   Is a 2000 - 2003 Night Train Too Old-img_0032.jpg   Is a 2000 - 2003 Night Train Too Old-img_0033.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012 | 09:17 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You should have no problem finding a good bike at around $8000. My '04 had 15,000 on it when i got it 2 years ago. There are garage queens to be had. Keep in mind that any mods that have been done don't really add any real value to a bike. Any bike that interests you that has been modded, will have stuff done that you would have done yourself, or at least can live with til you can change it. And that can get expensive, fast. Just some ideas to keep in mind. Happy hunting!

Old 08-12-2012 | 09:28 AM
tbear1
|
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=Harleyrider_49;10193427Yer sh*t'n,huh?......[/QUOTE]

Just looking for other peoples experience. I can get a much newer Dyna (with a 96 and six speed), but the Night Train really does it for me.

Old 08-12-2012 | 10:28 AM
Franks Deuce
Intermediate

Yep, right now here in CO you are right mynzbtr1. I have been seeing prices drop in the early 2000 range, right around $8k.

OP keep in mind that you may not be able to get a good ride and feel in the cold winters in MI!

Old 08-14-2012 | 07:12 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by tbear1
I am looking to get my first Harley. The ones in my price range seem to be from the 2000 to 2003 model years. I did search the site and know that these have the 88 engine, 5 speed and smaller rear tire. Is the EFI reliable on these earlier injection systems. Should I be concerned about reliability of a bike over 10 years old?

I want to spend my time riding in the summer, not fixing the bike. The other option is to wait a little longer and save up more money.

Its about the same as buying a used car/truck..

some people take care of them, some don't.. U have to find the right one and its hard to tell just by looking.

I'd prefer to know the owner when buying used.
I've seen to many weekend warriors run the crap out of their bikes every where they go.

That's why I don't think mileage is everything.
I'd rather have one with 20-30k miles on her, that's been taken care of and treated good than one with 15k that's been rode hard all the time..

Sometimes U can find one with only 2-3k miles on them, A bike that has been sitting for yrs can give a new owner a lot of problems if not gone over and made road worthy again.
Gas, brake fluid, tires and bearing ain't good just to sit around for yrs..

Old 08-14-2012 | 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I have a 2002 Night Train. No EFI, just a good old simple carb. The bikes work like a dream, and with the carb you still get that lope when it idles.

Old 08-14-2012 | 09:54 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Yup, I have an 01 standard. Basically the same bike. It's carbed. I love it. Not to be repetitive but to answer your question, no that's not too old. All it requires is taking proper care of the bike just like anything else. I picked mine up 2 years ago during the summer for $6400. It did have around 40k miles on it. I'm almost at 50k now and have had no issues mechanically. I've also found that it's pretty fun when you get a service manual and start doing routine maintenance yourself. One more thing, I think this is a great style bike to start out on if it's your first Harley. Don't break the bank buying your first bike and then it might turn out you would've prefered something else. Good luck in whatever you choose

The following users liked this post:
Innigray (03-19-2020)
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:55 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior

Love my carb'ed 03 train. I bought it about a year ago now... Best bike I've ever owned !!

Old 08-15-2012 | 09:51 AM
lowflight
Advanced
Default Night Train

I bought my 2003 Night Train with EFI at the end of January, 2011, for $8,000, with 10,000 miles on it.

Didn't start riding it until late March, and bought a service manual to get familiar with how to do routine things like oil changes, etc.

I absolutely LOVE this motorcycle!....it just passed 25,000 miles and I have had zero problems with it.

I don't know about other Harleys, but the Night Train is a great bike....you feel like you're strapping on a single seat fighter as you settle down IN to the seat, instead of ON TOP of your bike....it has pretty good power (ALWAYS want more, of course....ARRR! ARRR! ARRR! )....and it corners like it's "on rails", almost, LOL....far enough to drag the "jiffy stand" on the left side, and "something else", on the right side.

As far as riding in the Michigan winters, my "mininums" are 40 degrees F., and DRY pavement....if I have that....I'm riding it! LOL....just "layer up", and put on an Arai full face helmet, and I'm cruisin'....rode on Halloween, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day....you name it...LOL

It's stock except for the SE air filter, and slip on mufflers....eight inch pull back risers....EZ Pull clutch...side license plate bracket....Arlen Ness 3 inch foot control extensions...and a fork bag which I carry a can of "Fix a Flat" in...just in case! LOL

I've ridden for decades, but this is my first Harley....and I love MY Night Train!

Old 08-18-2012 | 08:13 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Bought my 2001 Deuce in Jan of this year and it had around 15,000 miles on it. Bike seemed to be taken care of and it checked out pretty good but felt I really needed to do a nice shake down ride on it to be able to put my complete trust in it. Left this past Tuesday for the Dragon, Skyway, Cherokee, Maggie Valley area and decided to ride the Deuce instead of my Street Glide. I believe I ended up putting 1000-1200 miles on it. What a great time. Didn't really miss being on the SG. Bike performed flawlessly.

With a little care, some common sense and being able to meet the current owner, I think there are some really good bikes out there at a reasonable cost.

Quick Reply: Is a 2000 - 2003 Night Train Too Old