Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic as first Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012 | 08:18 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

You will love the heritage. The touring bikes are great for long distances, or two up riding. does not sound like you will be doing much of either of those.

Old 08-02-2012 | 08:19 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Just to give you an idea, here are pics of my Heritage; stripped down and then dressed up for the dance...

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic as first Harley?-100_1582.jpg   Heritage Classic as first Harley?-397165_2590915530500_1182965121_32265031_1637374465_n.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012 | 08:20 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Just my 2 cents, but I started riding again in Apr after 23 years. I bought a Sportster, put about $600 worth of upgrades on it and 2500 miles and then traded it for a Heritage Classic 2 weeks ago.

I found the change to be drastic and for the better...in my case. I use it every day as my commuter and try to find excuses to ride it all time. I needed the bags for rain gear and to carry work related stuff. And the windshield I found to be a must for riding over 45 mph, not only for cutting out the wind screaming past my ears, but also to completely get rid of wind pressure on the chest at high speeds...hell, I want to be comfortable on long rides. The Classic also has the sissybar as standard equipment, which is fantastic for my wife when we two up. It's not technically my "first" Harley, since I started with the Sporty, but I wish I'd gone the Heritage route first. I wasn't crazy about the conchos and rivets at first, but they do add to the classic look and have grown on me.

I'm 5'6", 160 lbs. I sit flat footed on the Heritage and find the sitment (I just made that word up) to be almost perfect. The weight of the bike is about 200 lbs more, but I think that's what makes it so stable. And my only problem has been in baking it up into parking spaces, if you want to call it a problem...it just takes a bit more oomph to move it backwards than the Sporty did.

But, as others have said, sit on 'em, test ride 'em, hell, rent a couple different styles for a day and ride the **** out of 'em...then decide which is for you. Don't make my mistake and get a bike you'll trade in 3 months later!

Last edited by Lyttuch; 08-02-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2012 | 08:36 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior

I also looked at both bikes when I decided to get my 07 Heritage. The difference for me was that on the Heritage, I can remove the bags, backrest, and windshield and get that bad boy Fatboy look for around town rides or whenever I want to strip it down. Makes cleaning a lot easier too.

With any of the touring bikes, you are stuck with a touring bike no matter what you do. No bad boy looks, but still a great bike.

With my Heritage, I can strip it down or load it up. I have had numerous 500 miles rides and no complaints at all with the Heritage. I have had overnight trips and with the bags, a windshield bag, and a tour pack attached to the backrest, I can carry as mush as the touring bikes, and then take everything in the hotel to have a strip down version at my destination.

I ride solo 98% of the time now, but used to ride two up 90% when my daughter lived at home. The Heritage is great for either one. A radio would be nice, but I ride to get away and a radio would ruin the looks of the Heritage for me.

All this being said, get the one that speaks to you. Sit, ride, and stare at both and imagine yourself with both and see what calls to you.

Old 08-02-2012 | 09:02 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djbiker
All this being said, get the one that speaks to you. Sit, ride, and stare at both and imagine yourself with both and see what calls to you.

Old 08-02-2012 | 09:37 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

The Heritage is my first motorcycle and it hasn't disappointed...sounds like it will fit your riding style perfectly.

Old 08-02-2012 | 11:04 AM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by LDB415
I am about 5'9 and 230 with about a 31 inseam so not really big or small vertically. Part of the reason they suggested these is I want a full size windshield minimum if not a fairing. I also want bags to carry a rain suit for just in case and whatever else I may find along the way. For my size a Switchback would be another option since I wouldn't dwarf the thing but most dealers have not been very enthusiastic about it saying if I did eventually get to go to Daytona or whatever I'd regret not having the touring frame/suspension or at least the softail. Cruise is another option I'd want on long trips I'm sure although I think there are some work arounds for that. Thanks for all the good thoughts and comments. I appreciate them and will work them into my deciding.
Well, I have to say the same thing again. If your looking at a Switchback and they are trying to sell you a heritage they are trying to upsell you. Not that any of them are back bikes but the salesman works on commission. the Heritage costs about $2k more I believe.

As far as bags for rain suits and things like that, there are so many options on the market for just about any type of Harley. Single side bags are very popular right now and are the perfect size for that. Cruise control can be added as an option but if it were me I'd buy a throttle mate off eBay for $15 like a lot of us do and call it good. The windshield is a little more limited but there are still a lot of options for just about any Harley however the full size ones would look ridiculous on the smaller bikes IMO.

Either way, find out when your dealer is doing a demo day and go ride! When you get on the right one you will know it!

Old 08-02-2012 | 11:59 AM
str8shuutr45
Tourer

Originally Posted by LDB415
I've stopped at a few more dealers and a couple more have suggested the Heritage Classic as a good choice for the first Harley. They all seem to agree, with maybe one exception, that either a touring or softail frame are the way to go.

My riding will probably be 9x% solo riding and 9x% local (under 500 miles) riding. There will likely be a small percentage (think fingers on one hand) two up. There is maybe a similar percentage chance I might go to Daytona or Sturgis or some other long distance destination and that would be solo.

They are saying the ride is very similar to the touring bikes but the handling is more nimble as well as being 60 or so pounds lighter for easier stability. So, from those of you with lots more experience, what do you think of the Heritage Classic vs a tourer like RK or SG or RG for instance? Thanks for any and all input.
I just got back into the saddle after more than 20 years. I went with a Heritage, my first HD by the way, because of the way it fit me. I'm about 5'10 200 lbs and sitting on the thing just felt right. I test drove the Street Glide and Road King (by buddies all ride baggers) and really felt the most comfortable with the Heritage. I wanted bags and the windshield for longer trips; I also like the option of taking the windshield off for those hot summer nights. I also like the old school look with laced wheels, chrome etc. I have ridden mine almost every day and enjoy it more each time. Ultimately you won't go wrong with any choice you make.

Old 08-02-2012 | 12:21 PM
PosterPerfectPhoto
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lyttuch
........The weight of the bike is about 200 lbs more, but I think that's what makes it so stable. And my only problem has been in baking it up into parking spaces, if you want to call it a problem...it just takes a bit more oomph to move it backwards than the Sporty did........
I've found the extra weight to be a big plus too. My previous bike was light. I can go down the freeway now, even 2 up, and not be blown all over the road every time a truck goes by. As far as backing up do you have a driver backrest? I do and have found that it makes backing up a lot easier.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic as first Harley?-img_5706.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012 | 12:50 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member

I went from a '93 Sportster to a '02 Heritage. I'm totally satisfied with everything about the bike and would not hesitate to go on a two week trip on it.

I added a Grasshopper brand driver backrest thinking I'd use it for out of town trips. Turns out I keep it on the bike all the time. Picked it up from a forum member who said it pushed him too far forward in the seat. It did me too. So I put it in bench vise and slightly bent it to suit me.

Mal

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic as first Harley?