Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red security lamp came on after starting 2008 heritage without security system

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
heritagerider08
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red security lamp came on after starting 2008 heritage without security system

Maybe somebody can answer this one for me. I have a 2008 Heritage. It does not have the FOB security system. Went for a ride tonight and ended up having to move my bike in a hurry and started it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Anyway, after we ate, I turned the key on and the usual dash lights came on. After starting the bike, the red security light came on and stayed on for about 10 seconds and then went off. It has never done this in five years I have owned the bike. We rode home and I turned it off and then back on and it did it again. So I waited about 30 minutes after going thru the manual and went back out and started it several times and it seemed like it was back to normal with the security light going off before it started and not coming on after the engine was running.

So did starting the bike in gear possibly cause this?

thanks

Tim

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
TNB
Road Master

On a recent post I made, I posted a link on how to check the codes via the speedometer. That may be of some use. I know it works with my speedo. However, others advise against taking advice from some faceless person on the internet. FYI, to check the codes, the bike does not have to be running and the codes don't have to be cleared. I could cut and paste a link, but I don't really know how from an iPad though it should come up in recent posts.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
heritagerider08
Novice

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it and see if it does it again. But I am thinking that turning the bike off and coasting for about 10 feet with it in gear and the clutch in might have tripped a code. I went out two different times last night and started it several times and it didn't happen again. Maybe it has reset and won't go off again. Just in five years of owning my Heritage (bought new) I have had zero problems with it. The battery is five years old and it seems like it's getting harder to crank up. A new battery is probably the next thing i have to buy.

Tim

Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by heritagerider08
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it and see if it does it again. But I am thinking that turning the bike off and coasting for about 10 feet with it in gear and the clutch in might have tripped a code. I went out two different times last night and started it several times and it didn't happen again. Maybe it has reset and won't go off again. Just in five years of owning my Heritage (bought new) I have had zero problems with it. The battery is five years old and it seems like it's getting harder to crank up. A new battery is probably the next thing i have to buy.

Tim
It's my understanding that after 50 starts, it will reset. 5 years is a lot on a battery. I just replaced my 2-year old battery and use a battery tender. However, the low cracking battery didn't set off a code though it was easy to tell that it was a battery issue--odometer started up in miles instead of the clock. The heat here just kills batteries and my short, stop, and go trips don't help any since I'm not pushing highway speeds for any length of time.

Here's the link on how to check the codes along with some codes that I mentioned earlier. I printed them off and stuck them in my repair manual for future reference.

http://gwiz.co//harley/codes.php

Last edited by TNB; 07-31-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
heritagerider08
Novice

I just ran the speedo test and got the following results: PssPl6 but the L looked like half of the letter E.. When holding in the buttom when the P was flashing i got "None." then on the S it read 61121. when holding it in on SP = none and then No r sp. On the L and the 6 it read PN 68921-07 and when pushed again it said PN 67033-08. The red security lamp acts like it is back to normal. I have looked at the above link to the default codes and there isn't anything that matches. So am I safe to say that there is no DTC codes being listed?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

It is a stored code and will stop coming on after 50 starts.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM
heritagerider08
Novice

Originally Posted by Hogpro
It is a stored code and will stop coming on after 50 starts.

I understand that part that it will erase after 50 starts. I can't find it listed in any of the codes on the link. Maybe the PN maybe stands for Part number and then the numbers. Because none of the numbers match the codes that are listed.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
heritagerider08
Novice

Did some research and found out that those are part numbers that are always displayed. But I did tell the wife it had horrible problems and that the code displayed "B..U..Y..AN...U..L..T..R..A... wonder if she will buy it?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
TNB
Road Master

Probably not, but it was probably worth a try anyway.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 PM
1911NT
Cruiser

I'm having the same issues and then some. My speedos lights keep going out, the check engine light comes and goes while riding. And at times the bike will putter to a stop while ideling.
I got the codes B0563 battery voltage high???
I've got B1121 & B1122, but figure it's cause of the led light in the rear and. O signals up front.
I was getting the code B1006 & B1007 and the speedo's pn# I just changed the voltage regulator yesterday with no difference today.
Any help what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: red security lamp came on after starting 2008 heritage without security system