Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished Ape hanger install

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:16 AM
IronAK47
Intermediate

Looks real good. How do you like the ride now?

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:32 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Very sharp looking bike man. The bars look killer.

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:34 AM
Beagletim
Road Master

Looks great!

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:41 AM
agueybana
Road Master

very nice sir!!

Old 07-30-2012 | 12:29 PM
rockinred
|
Road Captain

Thanks brothers!

The ride is great. I always have preferred Apes to any other type. I have rode stock, drag, and apes. Tried beach bars on a friends and couldn't handle the feel.... they look bad ***, but just didn't feel it for me.

These bars are Carlini 1.5 16". The rise is 1.5. I had to replace the springer adapter plate to mount up the risers. They rub on the dash when turned all the way. Had a few problems on the fit with Carlini bolts and also between Arlen Ness and Carlini, things weren't matching up quite well so I had to do a some minor mods.

Overall pleased. I plan on a few more accents on the chrome engine and gonna do the rear air shocks before end of year and then this project will be about complete.

If anyone is looking for some tips on bars for the springers, hit me up... I about got it figured out for both pros and cons. Not my first install, but it was a good refresher and like always learned something new.

Thanks for the compliments. RKC kid... I agree on the paint skeem from factory Harley. I have seen much better custom paint jobs and set ups, but from factory I liked this one the best so far.

Old 07-30-2012 | 12:37 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

Looks great man

Old 07-30-2012 | 12:38 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice sled Dude! I want some Gangster Apes SO bad but I am affraid I won't like them. I tend to lean forward a bit when I ride as I have some slight back and hip issues. I'm getting old but thats another story for another website and another thread. I fear if I put them on it will hurt my back and take away my ability to move around. I didn't think much about the "shotgun shock" threads I was always reading about either...until someone conviced me to pull the trigger and it was one of the best things I did to my bike. maybe the Apes would be the same, maybe not! I don't mind at all dropping money for quality parts and mods, I just want to be able to not only use them but to enjoy them as well. I know they sure look nice on the bikes I see on here with them on.

Old 07-30-2012 | 12:53 PM
rockinred
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Nice sled Dude! I want some Gangster Apes SO bad but I am affraid I won't like them. I tend to lean forward a bit when I ride as I have some slight back and hip issues. I'm getting old but thats another story for another website and another thread. I fear if I put them on it will hurt my back and take away my ability to move around. I didn't think much about the "shotgun shock" threads I was always reading about either...until someone conviced me to pull the trigger and it was one of the best things I did to my bike. maybe the Apes would be the same, maybe not! I don't mind at all dropping money for quality parts and mods, I just want to be able to not only use them but to enjoy them as well. I know they sure look nice on the bikes I see on here with them on.
tbone... if you ask me I say apes are a much more comfortable and natural feel to riding. If you think about the way you put your hands on steering wheel at the 10 and 2 oclock position. As long as you don't go too high on apes, you will have a better position for hands and will probably help out your back. Just don't go too high. These are the flying apes and have a bit more pullback than the gangsters. They are also a lot taller than the gangsters when ordering the same size.

I had thought the whole Carlini run tall was a bit overplayed and hyped until I got these. It is a bit taller than advertised and also the way the bars have no bend on the top for hand grips adds in a few inches as well.

good luck on your choice and if you are wanting a more comfortable ride I'd say go with apes. imo

Old 07-30-2012 | 01:50 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by rockinred
Thanks brothers!

The ride is great. I always have preferred Apes to any other type. I have rode stock, drag, and apes. Tried beach bars on a friends and couldn't handle the feel.... they look bad ***, but just didn't feel it for me.

These bars are Carlini 1.5 16". The rise is 1.5. I had to replace the springer adapter plate to mount up the risers. They rub on the dash when turned all the way. Had a few problems on the fit with Carlini bolts and also between Arlen Ness and Carlini, things weren't matching up quite well so I had to do a some minor mods.

Overall pleased. I plan on a few more accents on the chrome engine and gonna do the rear air shocks before end of year and then this project will be about complete.

If anyone is looking for some tips on bars for the springers, hit me up... I about got it figured out for both pros and cons. Not my first install, but it was a good refresher and like always learned something new.

Thanks for the compliments. RKC kid... I agree on the paint skeem from factory Harley. I have seen much better custom paint jobs and set ups, but from factory I liked this one the best so far.

I know what you mean about learning the springer stuff. I did this same thing on mine, just different bars (La Choppers Nice Curves).

Replacing that top plate is cake, and makes it worth it to be able to run any bar you want, huh?!

Mine is actually from Carlini too.

Quick question - what are those mirrors, and how well do they work? I have one on, but with the angle, and where my arms are, it's not as useful as I would like.

Bike looks great. That metal grind/green combo is one of my favorite factory paint schemes.

Old 07-30-2012 | 03:01 PM
Wade91
Tourer

F'n outstanding!!! I miss my apes!

Quick Reply: Finished Ape hanger install