Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
ShortsNSandals
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lucas Synthetic Oil

I am new here and wanted to know if any of you had any experience with Lucas Synthetic oil in their Softails. I am leaning towards putting it in all three areas and am looking for some input, thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
DRW-HD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am an Amsoil fan but if I had a 2nd choice Lucas is it. I have said it before and will say it again and I only say this because of what I do for a living, work in a lab for a major chem. co. Oil is pretty much all the same. Syn oil is all pretty much the same. Its all cracked and made through the same process. What makes them different is the additive packages they use in the oil. I know may will dispute that statement about oils being the same but I can only speak from my work experiences with oils.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lucas is mediocre at best. Weak additive packages.
However I firmly believe that the what brand of oil is irrelevant,changing it is the important part.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM
olskoolblu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reckon the best way to start a fight among bikers, is to ask which oil's the best, but what hell I'll add my 2¢. Redline or Klotz, both ester based g5 synthetics. Don't get better...in my humble opinion o course.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 PM
RLE
Tourer

Originally Posted by olskoolblu
I reckon the best way to start a fight among bikers, is to ask which oil's the best, but what hell I'll add my 2¢. Redline or Klotz, both ester based g5 synthetics. Don't get better...in my humble opinion o course.
I use redline, but agree that group 5 synthetics are the way to go. Especially when you consider theyre about the same price. Motul is also a group 5.
But ya, youre best bet is to pick a good one you can get without a lot of hassle and change it regularly.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Have not tried the Lucas syn oil but I run the Lucas Dino 20/50 motorcycle oil in the engine & the Lucas Primary chaincase specific oil in the primary & the 85/140 Lucas gear oil in the trany on my 2012 Fat Boy. All I can say is the bike is quiet no lifter or engine noise the clutch works great & it shifts nice & smooth. I can not ask for anymore than that. The Lucas oils performs well & they are priced fair. Any O Rielys/Kragen auto parts can get the oils for you overnight if they dont have it in stock.

I have my reasons for not running syn oils without the debate or flames from all the Amsoil forum oil pro's .

If the Lucas syn oil works as good as there regular oil has for me so far all should be good & you will probably be happy with it. With that being said I do think the primary & trany should be diffrent fuids specific to each. This is just my opinion but I never cared for using the same oils in all three holes even though the oil companys & HD says it's ok.

Any good oil will work fine just pick one & change it on regular intervals people make way to much out of this hole oil thing dont get caught up in all the hype...

Good Luck & Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Lucas Synthetic Oil-fat-boy-1.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM
ShortsNSandals
Advanced

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:25 AM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

peanut oil works great and has a nice smell when it blows out...or sesame oil. I have seen a youtube video where a guy used olive oil. just kidding. don't try this at home.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin products 3yrs ago and really like them. I don't think any other oil is any better, just even par IMO.

Amsoil. has to be ordered around here and the Cost it a lot higher.

Almost all auto stores carries the Mobil 1 V-Twin. So its a lot easier to get.

Every spring someone here has the Mobil 1 V twin on sale (last 2 yrs it was $7.95 QT for 20-50 motor and tranny, $9.95 for 75-90 GL.. and I buy enough for the whole Yr, usually 2 changes..

Lucas products have a good reputation, but I haven't read any about there oils. so I wouldn't say there as good.. Still I wouldn't be afraid of using them..

I usually stick with one brand of oil, whatever, just stick with it instead of trying different kinds every oil change.
Yrs ago most agreed changing brands all the time was not good for any motor.

Also ever CR had an article several yrs and ago and stated most oils today are close. so just read about U pick and deciede Ur self.

Last edited by oct1949; 07-30-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Lucas Synthetic Oil