Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom or Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Dave75
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Custom or Wide Glide

I've narrowed my choice to the Softail Custom or Wide Glide. What I'd like to know is what are the differences in handling, comfort, and the pro's and con's of the two different motors. I like the look of the 200mm tire on the Custom, but is there a downside to the bigger tire. Hope to test ride these bikes sometime but would like some input before I begin. I'm 6 ft 2 and will be using the bike for day trips and local commuting. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom or Wide Glide

OK, now I know I’m going to catch a bunch of flack for this. But remember it’s just MY OPINION, and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

So here goes nothing. First of all I have a Custom and love it, so you know where my loyalties lay. But here’s why, and you can judge for yourself if why I like it might be the same reasons for you to also.

As I see it the WG and the Custom are really two sides of the same coin. They are both “styled” a little like old school choppers of the 60’s and 70’s. The Custom is a Softail and has the edge in styling and with its “B” engine a smoother (supposedly) ride. The Wideglide with its more conventional swing arm (Dyna) frame and standard (non-balanced) engine is better suited for someone who might be more interested in a stop light racer, rather than a bar hopper. But for day trips and local riding either would be an excellent choice.
The Custom is a “shorter” overall bike in both height and reach. I have no trouble reaching the ground or the controls comfortably on mine, but I can’t say the same for a Wideglide. At 6’ 2” however your about 6” taller than I am so I don’t think you’ll have any trouble at all reaching everything with ease.
The larger rear tire and two up seat on the Custom would be a really nice thing if you plan on doing a lot of two up riding. The wife likes mine a lot, but her bad knees make anything more than a short (over 20 miles) trip impossible.
The fat rear tire is neat looking and isn’t a big deal as far as handling goes on dry pavement and maybe its only me (maybe I’m too light?). But I think it may be just a bit too wide and you need to be aware of its more “slippery” tendencies when its on wet pavement, especially tar and slick paint strips. If you run it through a puddle that’s more than an inch or so deep it WILL hydroplane, giving you an “interesting” riding experience. One that I’m sure you would rather forgo if possible. But if your careful and don’t try to lean the bike over like a crotch rocket its not a serious problem, just something that needs to be considered and compensated for.
I made the mistake of trying to play crotch rocket in a hard turn with it only once. I was new to the bike and didn’t have the proper respect for the low end torque in that 96 ci of engine and nearly dumped the bike when it started to slip sidewise when I had it leaned it way over in a right hand turn at an intersection and twisted the throttle a bit too hard.

Best thing you can do is get on both, ride them around if you can and see how they feel to you. My “guess” is that a guy your height may find the Wideglide a better fit, but if the Custom “speaks” to you, there are ways to move the pegs to accommodate your longer legs if necessary.

Have fun, and good luck looking. [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I'm 6,2" as well and sat on both at the stealer recently. The softail was much more comfortable and even felt like it had more leg room. It could be because of the oversized stuffed couch seat, but it sure was comfy none the less. If it was my dollar, no doubt it would be for the Softail Custom.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Personally I think the Custom looks better, but I agree they are styled so similar you need to ride both to make your decision. It's going to come down to yourcomfort.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also another opinion.

I'd bet money on the handling of the wide glide. I'd also bet money on the ride as well. Softails weren't designed for either.. They were designed to look like a hardtail. Frame differences alone make getting to stuff easier.. I've heard them called "big-frame" and "little-frame" bikes by some old-schoolers around here. I know, as I struggled to get to anything on the old bike.. Lot of stuff crammed in that triangle shaped frame.

On that 200 tire.. I think the moco rushed it.. it's been a problem for them to cram all that primary and final belt drive on the side of a fatter tire.. You see most the custom makers saying 'screw it' and going to a right side drive for the final belt/chain which is better balancing.. So for HD, to balance the bike with a wider primary, they kicked the wheels over to the right side, in the case of the fatboy, which has caused a lot of concern at least if not problems. I think it's just for show though.. Can't see it handling any better.. I can remember going from the 130 on the old evo to the 150 and man I could feel the old bike just was easier to throw into turns.. period.

Also the glide is not a B (balanced) engine so pro's and con's there.. rubber mounted instead, like the tourbikes.. mechanically less stuff there including another chain that you have to crack the cases to service. The idle is more like the older Evo's and Shovels than the B engine.. just due to the lack of balancers, I think. But still smooths out nice off-idle.. and less stuff to spin and whir.. more power, though debateable if noticeable.

I've owned two softails.. a 90 heritage and a current 04 fatboy.. I'd be the wrong guy to ask if you want a softail fan, as I've gotten my softail fix. The next scoot will undoubtedly be something different, maybe for difference sake. Hands down between your two choices, I'd have no hesitation in jumping on the wide-glide and riding off... well, after I paid for it of course. I like the mini-apes too.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My 2 cents might be only worth a penny but here goes.

I think one could beat up on either bike for lots of different
reasons. And one could praise either bike as well. It comes down to personal likes, dislikes, how you will ride the machine, and comfort, and of course looks, which bike catches your eye.

I think alot of this pro and con stuff is like "Ford vs Chevy".
I have an 06 Softail Standard, which is just like the 07 Custom model except for all the bling. I put the 07 Custom seat on my bike when I bought it and have not had a sore butt yet. It is very comfy! I ride on a mountain road here in Southern California called "Ortega Hwy" , a favorite ride for lots of different riders. (Crotch Rocket guys love the Hwy) I have had no trouble carving turns up or down the mountain. A friend that I ride with has the 07 Fatboy...he scraped his floorboards on that road leaning. It has the 200 tire as well.
So, rent the bikes ride them, then decide, plunk your $$ down and ride, ride, ride, then change your oil and ride some more.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

A well put 2 cents.

Ride 'em if you can.. That'll let you know really quick which bike knocks yer socks off. I thought the V-Rod would be a great bike for me.. then I rode one at a rally demo. Actual time in the saddle will make your mind up. Though the general shape of your two choices are pretty similar, they're completely different animals I'll bet when you get 'em on the road.

What I want to demo is a dadgum Texas Ironhorse chop.. Just from sitting on it, feels like the bike my butt always wanted to sit on.. Just fits me, go figure. Then again, given the pricetag.. Maybe I aught not. Good way to get divorced. hehe

Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I prefer the Softail for looks, and the WideGlide for handling, ride, and smoothness at highway speeds. If a lot of distance riding is in your future, the Dyna Family is probably going to be a better choice.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

So I did a little test a little while ago.. Beebopped over to the stealer (I use that term now after seeing their prices on footpegs.. with rust on them in the brand new packaging).. Anyway.. I had a seat on a wide glide for giggles.. I was surprised at how high it sits.. shocked actually.. I pictured it as a relatively low sitting bike.. Chatting with the new sales guy he answered a few questions.. yes, a lot of them get lowered in the rear by the customer and he coined the term about how you sit "on" a dyna frame and "in" a softail frame.. So.. That's another thing. Pretty bike though.

It felt pretty tight though, almost like a sportster.. I can see it being a fairly good scoot in the twisties, even with the skinny front tire. Sit's kinda hopped up in the front, which reminded me of sitting on standard softails.. naturally.. same front end. I'll keep my FL. Went and sat on a road king to recover from it. I wasn't crazy about it at all.. The road king actually felt as though it sat lower without so much bike infront of you as under you.. like my fatboy. I guess I'm one of those guys that like a low-slung ride, even if I can only putt putt through the turns.

Food for thought.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
paulca
Road Captain

My own shortlist was between Dyna (Lowrider or SB) and Softail(custom). I had the use of a Dyna Lowrider for a few hours and really enjoyed it. It handled well on tight narrow & uneven roads, in traffic too and open road- it was fun.It wasn't too different to what I was used to (mid controls, etc.). But when I rode a custom I knew that was the one for me - quite different but just what I was yearning for. It'sa laid back, chilled out ride that is very comforable (after a few mods).

This is a very personal choice and the best advice has already been given -ride both and get a feel for what suits you.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom or Wide Glide