Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom or Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom or Wide Glide

Looks alone, its gotta be the custom!! I think the seat looks more like a leather couch and overalll length just
makes the bike look awsum. I dont like to be uncomfortable so I like the lazy boy look.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Both awesome bikes, very similar in size and rake. Two of the longer h-d's which will make you fit.

Very little differences. The Dyna handles very well but the Softail handles much better than advertised. It's like a pretty girl - how could she possibly be pretty AND smart?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

babs

he coined the term about how you sit "on" a dyna frame and "in" a softail frame..
Thats what a Harley sales guy told me when I was comparing a Road King Classic to the Heritage Classic. Needless to say, I went with the Heritage.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing except the custom wasn't out yet. I was choosing between the softail standard and the wide glide. HAD I KNOWN, the custom was coming back, I would have waited for it.

I have always loved the WG but it sits so much higher/different than the softail so I went with the softail and put mini-apes on it. This summer I put a HD brawler seat onmy bikewhich sits even lower than the stock seat. About a month ago I was at a dealer and sat on a WG and was amazed at how high it felt. Like anything though, I could get used to it. Especially ona cool scoot like a WG! I'm sure you will love either one!

Rick

Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Dave75
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your replies. Although these two bike are cosmetically alike they are mechanicallyfairly different.One of the things I was wondering about was the buzzz some people complain about on the "B" motor. Some people seem to find it very annoyingand others don'tnotice it at all. Only way to find out for sure is a test drive.I believe the dealerships have an open house in the spring where you can test drive different bikes. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out these bikes then.
Again thanks for your input.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you go to the HD web site I think there is a place there that lists the open house test ride events in all of the dealerships.
At least you'll be able to plan on when there is going to be one in your area. Or maybe one you can get to without having to go too far.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had ask this question over on the dyna board, most (if not all) of the answers, would have been for the wide glide. I own both, along with a road king and a street glide. The softail is a standard, same bikethe custom, except for the trim.Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. One thing I can tell you for sure is, the gentleman that thinks the softail has more leg room,was either intoxicated or sitting on the wrong bike, when making his comparison. My softail has the3" extensions on the forward controls, and it gives me about the same leg roomroom as my stock wide glide controls. I have the 3" kuryakyn controls for the wide glide, but found I didn't need them with the seat I run (stripper).I'm 6-3, 34 inch inseam. I've tried just about every seat made on the softail (badlander smooth, badlander snakeskin, stripper, corbin hollywood solo, lepera bare bones, bare bones gel, andDanny Gray buttcrack. The seat you choose will make a big difference. I have the stripper seat for both my road king and street glide. Italmost movesme back too far on those bikes.Some will move you back as much as 2-3" on the wide glide, not so much on the softail.

Is one better than the other...ABSOLUTELY
Which one...What I like, may notsuit you
Only way to find out...RIDE AND DECIDE...onlyyou can make that decision

Old 01-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Aces N Eights

With all the advice you have been given up to this point, I don't feel as though mine is of any value but anyway, here goes.
I purchased the Custom in July of 06. Love it but, always a but, had some passenger issues. As a solo rider I had no true complaints. It's 200 rear tire kept the front tire in line and the ease of the Softail kept the rear in check over rough areas in the road. My Cousin had a WG for years and loved it. I guess I really have no opinion I love my new Heritage Classic. Fits my needs just fine. I still love the look of both. They seem to share some common characteristics that make them both great scoots.