Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM
DocRed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap

I have a 2012 FXS and am currently stranded in Iowa on my way to NC. I was on the interstate when the bike lost power. Bike will still turn over and start but runs for a second then stalls out. The bike is at dealer now, ran diagnostic am error code for the Voltage regulator came on for too high voltage. Regulator was swapped out or new and error code is gone but problem still continues. Fuel pump primes for less then stops at 12psi. Normally runs for a few seconds. I have to be in NC 1200 on the 25th as I am currently coming back from military leave. Any information I can pass on to the techs at the dealership would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, any questions, please ask I am getting desperate.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being in the military myself I've had that type of situation too. Time to get a plane to NC, leave the bike, and get it later. My job always came first. Good luck soldier.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A similar thing happened to my wife's 2012 Heritage. Coming home from a road trip and the battery light comes on. It reads high voltage.... dealer says nothing else it could be but voltage regulator so we swap it out. That solved it, but the battery was pretty much jacked. It was reading 18 volts, so I had to drain it down to 12 volts leaving the lights on then put it on the tender for a full day before it would start the bike. Suggest to the dealer they put in a new battery to save time and make sure that's it.

Hope you make it back on time. I'm a 21-year AF vet myself. Stay safe.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

I too am a vet. Call your boss first thing. If he can't/won't give you an extension, you have time for alternatives to get back. Don't call him Wed AM and put him in a bad spot. If you can't get a plane ticket call Enterprise and rent a car. Check your HOG membership, there are some coverages when your bike leaves you stranded over a 100 miles from home.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on calling your chain of command ASAP and letting them know what's going on. The sooner you catch them up to speed the more they can do for you. It shouldn't be a big deal unless you wait till the last minute.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

I just thought about this some more, the window has closed on you riding your bike back to NC and getting here by 1200 Wed. Even if it is ready to rock first thing in the AM, you are not gonna make it. By trying you, are setting yourself up to be one of those sad mishap reports all of the career military guys have seen. You are 2 long riding days and there ain't enough hours left to do it with any semblance of safety. You are not doing anybody any favors risking your life trying to ride home by Wed. Don't try it. Be a hero somewhere else. If anything get a U-Haul truck and take it home if you can't stay or leave it. Don't try it brother, we need you well even if you are late.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
DocRed
Advanced

Thank you everyone, I am buying a plane ticket right now, doing the math, there really is no way I will be making it in time.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 PM
cb7263
Road Captain

Good decision. I'm sure the folks at the Harley dealer will take good care of your bike til you can get back to pick it up. They better anyways.
Good luck and Thank you for your service.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smart move. I am sure that the dealer will take care of you. If I was your 1SG, you'd be good to go, lol.....but not all 1SGs ride.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
DocRed
Advanced

The bike is fixed now, getting it serviced and a new rear wheel put on while I am gone. The bike will be there in storage until a future weekend when I can fly back and ride her to NC. Figure I might as well get the detachable for the ride, sure make it more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Need help asap