Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Mini Apes (rolling them forward?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Stock Mini Apes (rolling them forward?)

Has anyone seen or done this? I am thinking about rolling my stock mini apes forward a little, I am wondering though how it would look and how it would handle? I haven't seen anyone on the forums that has done this (or I have missed them). I would love to see some pics.

So... anyone done this? And if so, is it just a matter of loosening up the top, rolling them forward and then retightening everything?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you asking about just stock mini apes or all mini apes and apes in general? Apes were meant to be pushed forward as in straight up.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Are you asking about just stock mini apes or all mini apes and apes in general? Apes were meant to be pushed forward as in straight up.
The stock bars...like mine in my sig. I'm thinking about rolling them forward, just want to see how they would look before actually doing it. Also curious how it changes the seating position and handling.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would take you all of a few minutes to do it. Less time than to wait for someone to post pics of it. I did it when my Crossbones still had stock bars, but didn't get any pics. It isn't going to make a huge difference in handling or anything like that. Just make sure you know the torque specs for the riser screws and when you tighten them you make the gap even all the way around between the riser and the riser cap.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by brettnbama
It would take you all of a few minutes to do it. Less time than to wait for someone to post pics of it. I did it when my Crossbones still had stock bars, but didn't get any pics. It isn't going to make a huge difference in handling or anything like that. Just make sure you know the torque specs for the riser screws and when you tighten them you make the gap even all the way around between the riser and the riser cap.
Perfect answer because I didn't realize I would need to torque it to a certain spec....in fact, I have no idea how to do that. Lol I'm new at wrenching or doing anything (including oil changes) to my bike. I was lucky to install the 1-1/2" lowering kit. Ha!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you are going to start, you will need a foot pound and inch pound torque wrench

Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

I've got mini apes rolled forward there just as comfortable and look better I think as they appear higher, I had them like yours originally.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's pretty simple to do, just takes a couple tools. If you don't want to shell out the cash for torque wrenches yet, most auto parts stores have a loaner tool program and you might be able to get one for the day for a few bucks. Also pick up a set of Allen sockets while you're there as you will need them to use with the torque wrenches. Place a folded towel on your tank to protect it, loosen the bolts on the top clamp, roll the bars forward (keep an eye on wiring etc to make sure nothing is getting pinched anywhere) re-tighten the top clamp equally, then final torque the fasteners when you're happy with the positioning.

Just for reference purposes, I have 10" mini apes rolled vertical, probably pretty similar in height to what you've got.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Here's mine. 12 inchers

Attached Thumbnails Stock Mini Apes (rolling them forward?)-img_0306.jpg  
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 16" rolled FWD, alot more comfortable and less pressure on my shoulders. To keep my Apes from slipping I drilled and tapped a bolt into my stock risers that goes into the bars and keeps them from slipping. Holds them snug and it cost $1.50.

Quick Reply: Stock Mini Apes (rolling them forward?)