Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012 | 06:34 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

Oh and the tech that put it together test rode it this spring after some new bars and what not....He claims it is scary fast and my Dyna could take his FB with a 103 and big bucks in the motor.

But it looks pretty stock until you fire it up.

Karsten

Old 07-19-2012 | 07:18 PM
ryan russell
|
Stage II

my bike is an 2005 fxsti with k&n air filter thunderheader and fuel pack. im just looking for hp. im planning on doing head work and a cam just not sure what cam i want yet.

Last edited by ryan russell; 07-19-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2012 | 08:43 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

GMR performance hooked me up. 98" big bore, Andrews 37 cams, Smith bros push rods, SE cam plate, Dynatec ecm are in and it's scary fast. Stage 3 head work(just got the call they are done) on the way, Miukuni 42 will get ordered tomorrow. Holy shizz what a diffrence I can't wait to get the heads here. Down time is only a week or less. Check out Hillside too. Scott seems to be a good dude, GMR was just closer. I've also heard the 98"er runs cooler than a 95".

Old 07-19-2012 | 10:51 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ryan russell
what do you guys reccomend for cheap motor work for a tc88? revolution performance 98 kit or screaming eagle 95
Since you used the word "cheap" you must have a tight budget, which is no problem. SE 95" pistons and rings from one of the HD online dealers that gives a discount, send your cylinders (for boring) and heads to BigBoyz up in Maine, Hillside in NY or one of the other forum sponsors. At a minimum,heads need to be decked and cc'd to match the cam you choose, can't go wrong with an Andrews 37. Cometic .030 head gasket.If you have additional dollars, invest in stage II headwork. Check tensioners and replace if necessary. Remove and replace inner cam bearings with Timken B148's. Remove oil pressure spring in camplate and replace with Baisley spring. Not sure off the top of my head whether or not you can re-use your stock pushrods if you use the 37 cam and deck the heads.Replace all o-ring and gaskets in cam chest, cylinders , pushrod tubes, rockerbox and exhaust. Some guys will tell you that you can re-use your gaskets and o-rings, which you may be able to do. But, if you can't afford to replace them, you can't afford to rebuild your engine. Save your money. You may need a stronger clutch spring, ride it and see.If you have a bigger budget, you can replace camplate with the hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump, go to 98", stage II headwork. Do the work yourself and save around $60-$80 and hour depending where you would take it.

Old 07-19-2012 | 11:02 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Go as big as you can. Cubes are power. While it's apart install a pair of cams,a 2 into 1 pipe and your over 100hp. Or pretty damn close.

Old 07-20-2012 | 07:31 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Karsten
Went I started planning my TC88 to 95 or 98 inch I was advise here to stick with the proven 95 as 98's can be problematic......I forget why just now as this was 2 years ago. Also it was mentioned that the Revolution Perf had some issues (could have been cleaned up now for all I know)

I only wanted to pay labor once so over the summer I started collecting my parts.

I indeed called Vee Twin and ordered 95 inch cylinders and 10.25 to 1 domes pistons as I didn't want the down time any longer than needed.

Cams, Race Roller lifers I went to Phat Performance and opted for Fueling Reaper .574 cams and Feuling lifters.

Heads I ordered out of a performance machine shop in Texas ported, polished, flow tested with high lift springs and oversized value. Spendy but well worth it even through they took forever.

SE Super Tuner I found new in box on ebay for $175 shipped and it had 15 minutes left.....I guess no one else was looking for a Super Tuner that day

Everything went together just fine until the tech called and said we had a problem....The heads and cams were gonna need a lot more air in and all that extra exhaust had to go somewhere fast.

Air intake was handled with a SE Heavy Breather modified to use a round air filter and round Retro A/C cover.

Exhaust was fixed using stock head pipes (sleeper look) BCT Baffles and Rush cans without baffles.

If you are gonna do it do it all, Heads, cams, 95 inch, tuner....Bigger displacement means you need more air and fuel which means more burnt crap to get rid of....Save your money and get it all done at once.

Just my opinion but I put together a killer motor buying the parts as I found them.

Karsten
Excellent. Automatic compression release? I know people who got tired of adding octane booster and the head and went back down to 9.25 or so.

C#

Old 07-20-2012 | 09:21 AM
Warpig04
Stage I

IMO, this is one of the best setups (my current setup) to make your 88 smoke the 103s. My little hog moves.

Screamin Eagle Stage 3 package w/ 95" 1550cc Big Bore kit, Screamin Eagle 211 Cams, Screamin eagle Stage 3 HTCC heads, Screamin Eagle perfect fit pushrods, Screamin Eagle clutch spring, compression releases, Dyno tuning, Power Commander, Vance & Hines Bigshots staggered exhaust, Wimmer air intake

Old 07-20-2012 | 09:32 AM
lbottini
Cruiser

+1 on all of the above. If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, I'm with the crowd that thinks freeing up the breathing, cam upgrade and download will wake up your 88ci.
Made a huge improvement on my bike.

Old 07-20-2012 | 10:23 AM
Karsten
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Excellent. Automatic compression release? I know people who got tired of adding octane booster and the head and went back down to 9.25 or so.

C#
Comp releases were an option but I didn't do them. I add a little LHP now and then but even without it the motor fires right up on about 1/2 a turn.

Karsten

Old 07-20-2012 | 11:16 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Karsten
Comp releases were an option but I didn't do them. I add a little LHP now and then but even without it the motor fires right up on about 1/2 a turn.

Karsten
When you get into high heat conditions you may start pinging without LHP.