Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 micron vs 10 micron oil filters....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default 5 micron vs 10 micron oil filters....

When I got my bike 6 weeks ago, one of the first things I wanted to do was change the oil and filter. So I went to the stealership and bought an oil filter. I about had a heart attack when I saw what they charge for a single Twin Cam oil filter. Very soon I will have to change the oil again. Being the cheap a$$ that I am, I began looking for alternatives to the over priced MOCO filter. I checked the usual internet places and ebay and I see a variety of filters, but some say 5 micron, and some say 10 micron. My understanding is that the factory filters are 5 microns, is that correct??? I sure as heck wouldn't want a ten micron filter if the bike calls for a five, right? I mean, why would a manufacture even make a 10 micron filter if five is needed?

Second question, where's the best place to get a bargain on bulk buy oil filters that meet MOCO specs? Like two, four or even twelve pack specials? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Filters are cheap insurance. I buy them at the dealer or from Amsoil. Why risk poor performance to save a few bucks. Do you use discount oil too?

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (03-27-2017)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You're being way to ****. The 5 micron is nominal, look it up. Get the HD filter, Amsoil or K&N. I like the Amsoil but usually get the K&N because of the easy on and off.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the HD filter and HD, Amsoil, or Modil 1 oil, whichever is on sale at the time. Do it every 5000 miles.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Why risk poor performance to save a few bucks. Do you use discount oil too?
Exactly!!! I would NEVER do that. That is why I am asking about the filtering ability of the filters. I WILL NOT buy a junk or under spec products for my bike. But I won't pay more than needed if alternatives are available that are as good or better than the MOCO. And in my experience, you don't have to try to hard to exceed MOCO performance for less money if you simply ask around,

It seems a lot of guys are recommending K&N. Any hookups to good deals on that brand?

Gman, way too **** to wait till 5K. At three thousand I start to freak out. Yeah, probably wasting filter money right there, but if I don't the therapy to calm my nerves would cost triple. lol

Hell, it took me five years of driving my Ford Focus till I could let that thing go 5K between changes and I don't even like that car.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only use Amsoil products, if you become a preferred member you can get a huge discount on all products and your final price will be equal to that of a HD oil but far more superior quality. To me it's worth it because I do two oil changes a year in both of my bikes.. Heritage and Nightrain!!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
When I got my bike 6 weeks ago, one of the first things I wanted to do was change the oil and filter. So I went to the stealership and bought an oil filter. I about had a heart attack when I saw what they charge for a single Twin Cam oil filter. Very soon I will have to chatnge the oil again. Being the cheap a$$ that I am, I began looking for alternatives to the over priced MOCO filter. I checked the usual internet places and ebay and I see a variety of filters, but some say 5 micron, and some say 10 micron. My understanding is that the factory filters are 5 microns, is that correct??? I sure as heck wouldn't want a ten micron filter if the bike calls for a five, right? I mean, why would a manufacture even make a 10 micron filter if five is needed?

Second question, where's the best place to get a bargain on bulk buy oil filters that meet MOCO specs? Like two, four or even twelve pack specials? Any help is appreciated.

First of all, if you are admittedly cheap, why are you going to the dealer to get yourself fleeced?

Next, don't be cheap about oil and filters. I know I go overboard, but I'm an Amsoil guy, use an oil scavenger, and have a permanent, reusable oil filter that cost me almost $90.

Do some research on absolute filtration vs. average filtration. Paper filters rated to 5 microns (which is your spec) will ON AVERAGE stop particles as small as 5 microns. At other points in the non uniform paper mass, it may allow things no larger than a football to pass through an element. A filter that is rated lets say at 20 microns but has an ABSOLUTE rating would be a better filter overall, since it will NEVER allow a large particle to pass through.

Look below for video and photos:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JSlfjKgm7C9sKQ

Last edited by TORQUEY; 07-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
First of all, if you are admittedly cheap, why are you going to the dealer to get yourself fleeced?
Agreed. And it won't happen again. Thats for sure. But I just bought the thing and wanted the oil changed. I took the one time hit. Live and learn.

Maybe "cheap" is the wrong word. I want good stuff, but I know I can get it at a better price than Harley sells it for. Thats why I am researching. This is my first Twin Cam, so I am still in the learning curve. I have read about the reusable filters, and people have had good results. That being said, I want to stay with a disposable filter. At least at this point.

JD, I will certainly look into the preferred membership. I have always just gone to the auto parts store, but with the price of quality oil now a days, they might be a good alternative.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Wulf
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wix 57148

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not tryin to bust any one's ***** but for the cost of 2 beers I don't mind getting a filter from my dealership. If 8 bucks for a filter is gonna break ya you need a new hobby.

Quick Reply: 5 micron vs 10 micron oil filters....