Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 micron vs 10 micron oil filters....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Not tryin to bust any one's ***** but for the cost of 2 beers I don't mind getting a filter from my dealership. If 8 bucks for a filter is gonna break ya you need a new hobby.
Thinking the same way..

I priced Amsoil and K&N,, around here they are almost twice as much as the black HD filter.. $8 vs $14 No brainer for me which one I buy.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Thanks for all the replies. Enough of you guys
edit: Found a seller (Jireh) who had them for $49.95 shipped for the 4-pack. $12.49 each is not too bad for a top of the line chrome filter, I think.

Hell of a deal. Keep that in mind myself.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
First of all, if you are admittedly cheap, why are you going to the dealer to get yourself fleeced?

Next, don't be cheap about oil and filters. I know I go overboard, but I'm an Amsoil guy, use an oil scavenger, and have a permanent, reusable oil filter that cost me almost $90.

Do some research on absolute filtration vs. average filtration. Paper filters rated to 5 microns (which is your spec) will ON AVERAGE stop particles as small as 5 microns. At other points in the non uniform paper mass, it may allow things no larger than a football to pass through an element. A filter that is rated lets say at 20 microns but has an ABSOLUTE rating would be a better filter overall, since it will NEVER allow a large particle to pass through.

Look below for video and photos:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JSlfjKgm7C9sKQ

+1 here's what I'm using.

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=684

That 5 micron crap ain't nothing but hype. A particle 5 microns in size is 0.000196 inch. That's almost 2 ten thousandths of an inch. That's some pretty restrictive media to even catch %5 of particles that size. I was also surprised at how much more oil pressure I gained when I switched filters. My 08 FXSTC went from a hot 6psi, to 20 at idle. All I can figure is that the 5 micron is so restrictive that the bypass valve was open all the time, and since most bypass valves open at 6-8 psi, that was in effect the pressure relief valve for my system. A lot can be said about a full flow filter. I've since added a Baisley spring and at cold startup, I'm pushing 50psi now, and run hot down the road all day at 40+. My filter is rated 22 micron absolute. I pull oil samples every 2500K and send them off to Blackstone for analysis. And I have yet to recieve a report from them that didn't state "excellent filtration" according to the results.

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (03-27-2017)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959

I pull oil samples every 2500K and send them off to Blackstone for analysis. And I have yet to receive a report from them that didn't state "excellent filtration" according to the results.
Outstanding information. Thanks for the reply. Seems like more than one forum member agrees with you.
My new filters are on the way, but when I burn threw these four, a washable and reusable filter might be worth considering. I have never sent my oil away for analysis, but I may do that to get some feedback. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Just use the Harley and change it once a year. The oiling system on these roller bearing engines do not need a restrictive filter. I would not be engineering here and no one is cheaper then me. The problem here is you can not tell the difference and what most people are just stating what Joe said. I have been at this long enough that I have seen two after market filters fail. There is a difference in after market and OEM.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is what I buy, 3 kits at a time, I just can't beat the deal anywhere that I have been, these guys are in Deland Florida, not to far from Daytona!

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/3112746592.html

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 5 micron crap ain't nothing but hype. A particle 5 microns in size is 0.000196 inch. That's almost 2 ten thousandths of an inch. That's some pretty restrictive media to even catch %5 of particles that size. I was also surprised at how much more oil pressure I gained when I switched filters. My 08 FXSTC went from a hot 6psi, to 20 at idle. All I can figure is that the 5 micron is so restrictive that the bypass valve was open all the time, and since most bypass valves open at 6-8 psi, that was in effect the pressure relief valve for my system. A lot can be said about a full flow filter. I've since added a Baisley spring and at cold startup, I'm pushing 50psi now, and run hot down the road all day at 40+. My filter is rated 22 micron absolute. I pull oil samples every 2500K and send them off to Blackstone for analysis. And I have yet to recieve a report from them that didn't state "excellent filtration" according to the results.
Holy cow dude, that is some serious scheduled maintenance. I am an old fighter acft mx dude and we pulled "JOAPs" after every flight (2-4 hrs depending on the jet) so I understand the concept. Do you get anymore info other than "excellent filtration"? ie spikes in a particular metal indicating what's in the oil potentially and indicating excessive wear from a particular part? I am feeling really low now because I occasionally check my oil between changes--oh yeah at only at 5K intervals and I just buy the HD black filter how ever mamy microns that is.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed. And it won't happen again. Thats for sure. But I just bought the thing and wanted the oil changed. I took the one time hit. Live and learn.

I took one hit also from the dealer...1,000 mile rape & pillage.

JD, I will certainly look into the preferred membership. I have always just gone to the auto parts store, but with the price of quality oil now a days, they might be a good alternative.
A reasonably good deal.

[QUOTE=bikerlaw;10089829]. So.....no. I will not waste money at the dealer. I have way better things to waste money on. Like chrome!!!

Now you're talkin'

Originally Posted by ardakota
Harleys 5 micron is misleading what they dont tell you is that is 5 microns at 50% efficiancy which means it will catch 5 microns 50% of the time
Bingo!

Thanks for all the replies. Enough of you guys convinced me that K&N were pretty much as good as disposable filters get. As I mentioned a few times, I insist on the best for my bike when I comes to filters, but refuse to pay dealer prices again. I found an ebay seller with a 4-Pack of K&N's shipped to my door for 55 bucks ($13.75 each). I like the rear nut as well. Thanks again for all the replies. Once I get these twin cams sorted out in my head, I'll be a much happier camper.

If you want disposables, you've done well here.

[/B] Found a seller (Jireh) who had them for $49.95 shipped for the 4-pack. $12.49 each is not too bad for a top of the line chrome filter, I think. [B]

Even better!

This is what I said, but with much greater articulation.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 521 Posts

Here's what all they check. I just copied and pasted this from my last report. They also keep track of previous reports and compare the samples to check for any spikes like you asked. I also keep all the reports myself.

ALUMINUM
CHROMIUM
IRON
COPPER
LEAD
TIN
MOLYBDENUM
NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM
BORON
SILICON
SODIUM
CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM
PHOSPHORUS
ZINC
BARIUM

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F
Flashpoint in °F
Fuel %
Antifreeze %
Water %

Insolubles %
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C
UNIVERSAL
AVERAGES
UNIT /

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 07-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

RIPSAW's opinion

You actually do not want a twin cam above 6-10 lbs of oil pressure at idle. As the rpm picks up the oil injectors open spraying oil at the cylinder bases. The are set to open 12-18 lbs. If set have too much pressure idle it will actually overheat the oil. That is the problem when people like xwhvz1959 have an agenda (pushing a product) and resort to hype to do it. This information came from Harley Davidson. In an effort to get the temperature down they soon realized if you use the oil too much at idle in an effort to cool, it actually does exactly what they intended. Hence the oil injector settings.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 5 micron vs 10 micron oil filters....