Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combination Speedo/Tach

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Stelter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combination Speedo/Tach

I was doing some searches on this forum about the combo speedo/tach. I seen one where someone said this was a cake job to install. What about the mileage reinstatement? Does the bike have to be taken to a dealer to get the mileage corrected on it?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Combination Speedo/Tach

when you order your tach the dealer will have your mileage put in.
they don't have to have your bike, when they order it they tell them the mileage.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:03 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Deuce is right, the factory does the mileage set-up, unless you don't really care and are willing to start with it at zero. There is a plug wire for the tach that will need to be plugged in. Some come with the tach combo while others you have to buy it seperately...about $6.
The plug that is currently attached to your speedo has several openings in the back that are plugged with little red pins. Your directions will tell you which red pin to pull out to plug the tach wire into. It's fairly straight forward if you take your time and do it slowly.
I bought my tach combo off Ebay for about $140 and it had 5200 miles preset on it. As I already had about 41,000 on the previous speedo I didn't really care about the difference. Justed marked the change in my repair schedule for reference.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

no extra plug wire for mine, it was "plug and play", I replaced the existing speedo with the combo unit and that's it, everything worked fine.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

You really should have the mileage matched to your original, failure to do so "could" result in the Feds getting mad at you. There is some laws on the books that mandate there be some kind of "official" paper trail if the speedo is changed and the mileage with it. Keeping them the same avoids the need for the papers.
Its a hold over from the bad old days when it was almost a common practice for used car dealers used to roll back the mileage on cars to cheat you.
Your local dealer can "fix" it in about5 minutes by just plugging your bike in to their dignostic system and typing in the new numbers.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
blackbirdxx
Cruiser

Plug and play on my 07 Deluxe...took about 10 minutes to install. Original speedo had 152 miles so no big deal for me! It was a must add for me since I like to monitor the engine RPM...I can't believe they aren't included on a $20k bike!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Citioriplus is right...it is a Fed issue with respect to the marketing of used vehicles and the rights of the new purchaser knowing the true mileage of the vehicle. Your local HD Service people can fix you right up and correct the mileage for you.

My replacement was total "plug and play"...I purchased the standard lit speedo/tach combo as opposed to the one with all of the different colored lights option. Saved about $50.00 by doing so. I replaced the cosole at the same time I did the speedo/tach. Very easy job, very good looks! Go to Zanotti's and save some $$$!

Good luck...

Steve

Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
grasman
Cruiser

Check out one of the new vendors: Thundermax. It's digital andabout the same price as the HD and Kuryakan.Looks like it has more goodies built in. This is a brand new item from them.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

If it fits the 07... Does it include the clock like the stock dash?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
grasman
Cruiser

NW FXSTS,

Looking at the description it doesn't say. Scroll to the bottom and look to the right. There is a list of new vendors. You might have to contact them to find out.

Jack

Quick Reply: Combination Speedo/Tach