Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something happened.... weird

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something happened.... weird

So I took a little trip this past couple days. I went from El Paso to Santa Fe. I took two different routes back and over all it was about 750 miles in about 3 days. Nothing serious, but it's what fit into 3 days while still getting family time in.

Well, on the way home today, I stopped in Socorro to get a beer at one of the breweries I like, and after wards my scoot started acting up. I stopped for about an hour and when I was about to get back on the road it would start to die around 2K rpm. It freaked me out a little bit, I pulled over, was about start pulling stuff apart and said screw it lets stop at the autozone. Well, in the couple minutes of driving it started to work just fine. I called my brother here at home and let him know the situation and to have a truck ready or someone that could come get me. Is this something I should worry about?

It felt like it didn't have enough fuel... like it was starving once I started to get the revs up. It really freaked me out as I was still about 200 miles from home. She brought me home thought without any issues.... any suggestions?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe it didn't have enough fuel?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 AM
GWIZ2260
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would think it was definitely fuel related, but believe you are saying started running fine in the end? If so, then bad fuel probably is out, but may be vapor lock? Just guessing with the info you posted.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fuel pump going bad... Had this isssue on a 2006 FXST, It would start then want to die, revved it up and it would be smooth sailing.. Replaced filter same problem.. replaced pump problem fixed..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a similar issue yeas ago and it was crud in the fuel tank that would occasionally settle over the outlet and starve the motor for fuel.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

what did U do right before this happened.??
Did U fill up.??

thinking fuel could do it, also one of Ur battery cables loose.. check Ur gound cable on both ends.

Start with the easy stuff..

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet some crud got in the regulator relief and was holding it open a bit causing your pressure to drop. After a couple of starts and stops it cleared.

However if it comes back it could be the dreaded pin hole in the fuel line issue. I have one in mine now that I need to address. Luckily mine is low enough in the tank that I have to be 150+ miles into a ride before I feel it.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Recently overfilled my tank while filling up in Vegas (very hot outside). My bike exhibited the same thing yours did until I could burn up some fuel. I came to realize that overfilling (at least in the CA-equipped models) must block the tank vent or cause fuel to run into the system in such a way as to impede fuel flow. Took about five minutes of putting around a parking lot to get the ability to rev faster than 2000 rpm without stalling.

I always stop fueling at the first click now... No more trying to get "just a little bit more" into the tank for me.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

What you described is no doubt fuel related. The engine was starving for fuel over 2k rpm and going lean. Bad fuel could cause it bat I'm really curious if it was a full tank or almost empty when it happened.

Full tank could have been causing an issue with the vent not working properly in this heat. (El Paso here too). If it was low in the tank I might thing bad fuel or sediment blocking an intanke.

Either way the first thing I would start with is shining a light in there and making sure the tank is clean. Then a fuel cleaner too. Just in case bad fuel or water had somehow gotten mixed in, it could flush it out.

She got you home, that's the big thing. Glad to hear it. I'd like to stay up to date to determine if there is a problem or this was a one time event. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GWIZ2260
Would think it was definitely fuel related, but believe you are saying started running fine in the end? If so, then bad fuel probably is out, but may be vapor lock? Just guessing with the info you posted.
Yea, now that I think about it, it very well may have been vapor lock.

Originally Posted by Joe What
Sounds like fuel pump going bad... Had this isssue on a 2006 FXST, It would start then want to die, revved it up and it would be smooth sailing.. Replaced filter same problem.. replaced pump problem fixed..
I don't think it was the fuel pump, although anything is possible. The reason I doubt it's the fuel pump is I ended up going around another 250 miles with zero issues once the problem cleared up.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I had a similar issue yeas ago and it was crud in the fuel tank that would occasionally settle over the outlet and starve the motor for fuel.
Another possibility. How would you fix this?

Originally Posted by oct1949
what did U do right before this happened.??
Did U fill up.??

thinking fuel could do it, also one of Ur battery cables loose.. check Ur gound cable on both ends.

Start with the easy stuff..

I got into Socorro after being on it pretty good for about an hour (80-85 for about 70 miles). As soon I got into town, I filled up and grabbed lunch. Bike sat for about an hour, then when getting ready to get back on the road, that's when the issue started. Checked the cables, no issues and my FuelPak at the first sign of trouble.

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I would bet some crud got in the regulator relief and was holding it open a bit causing your pressure to drop. After a couple of starts and stops it cleared.

However if it comes back it could be the dreaded pin hole in the fuel line issue. I have one in mine now that I need to address. Luckily mine is low enough in the tank that I have to be 150+ miles into a ride before I feel it.
I replaced the stock fuel line with some EFI line about a year ago, so likely not the issue. Plus, the tank was topped off when the issue occured.

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Recently overfilled my tank while filling up in Vegas (very hot outside). My bike exhibited the same thing yours did until I could burn up some fuel. I came to realize that overfilling (at least in the CA-equipped models) must block the tank vent or cause fuel to run into the system in such a way as to impede fuel flow. Took about five minutes of putting around a parking lot to get the ability to rev faster than 2000 rpm without stalling.

I always stop fueling at the first click now... No more trying to get "just a little bit more" into the tank for me.
I think this is the winner! everything you are describing sounds identical to the situation I went through. Once it cleared up, no issues on the remaining 250 miles home. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Quick Reply: Something happened.... weird