Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

36" Samson baffled long tails, stuck with them

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012 | 10:30 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

mdunn: Have you heard how those pipes sound without the baffles?

I am not trying to second guess your plans, but before you go out and spend time and money doing the swap, make darn sure you like the sound of the un-baffled units.

Also, keep in mind you will probably need to do the "lollypop" mod (or but in some other solution) to gain a little bit of back pressure lost when going baffle-less. I had to change the programming of my PCIIIUSB just removing the baffles on my Samsons versus leaving them in to get the fueling right.

First I tried wrapping the removable baffles in fiberglass muffler insulation, sounded deeper, but not what I wanted, with the removable baffles alone, and without the removable baffles. I wound up choosing to leave the removable baffles in unwrapped. It sounded and performed best. YMMV.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Old 07-06-2012 | 12:46 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
mdunn, that does suck. Make sure you list them in the classifieds on here, things seem to move well in there. Surely there is someone out there who would love to swap for the baffled...but I guess you could sell those and get some 39s! haha
I'm in love with your Deluxe

Old 07-07-2012 | 08:54 AM
mdunn
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SprungDave
mdunn: Have you heard how those pipes sound without the baffles?

I am not trying to second guess your plans, but before you go out and spend time and money doing the swap, make darn sure you like the sound of the un-baffled units.

Also, keep in mind you will probably need to do the "lollypop" mod (or but in some other solution) to gain a little bit of back pressure lost when going baffle-less. I had to change the programming of my PCIIIUSB just removing the baffles on my Samsons versus leaving them in to get the fueling right.

First I tried wrapping the removable baffles in fiberglass muffler insulation, sounded deeper, but not what I wanted, with the removable baffles alone, and without the removable baffles. I wound up choosing to leave the removable baffles in unwrapped. It sounded and performed best. YMMV.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
Dave,

Raul my good friend who I ride with all the time has unbaffled pipes on his bike and I love the sound of them. I know what i am getting in to, thats for sure. i also have a 1992 EVO bike, a carb and pipe, thats it. No computers on board, nothing at all. I want them and they are for sale, 36" Samson baffled pipes, anyone??

Old 07-07-2012 | 11:29 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mdunn
Dave,

Raul my good friend who I ride with all the time has unbaffled pipes on his bike and I love the sound of them. I know what i am getting in to, thats for sure. i also have a 1992 EVO bike, a carb and pipe, thats it. No computers on board, nothing at all. I want them and they are for sale, 36" Samson baffled pipes, anyone??
Good deal.

I'm glad you are on the road to getting what you really want.

FYI: the "new" Samson longtails have removable baffles and tips (these are the ones I have). When you get around to ordering, I do not know if they are much more expensive than the simple un-baffled units, but I recommend getting them if you can. For two reasons: first, if you scrape the tips too badly from all the dragging, you can replace just the tips without replacing the whole pipe, and second, if you get nabbed for sound violation, wrapping the baffles quiets them down considerably (you can even install much longer quiet baffles into the pipes and really quiet them down for the "fix-it test").

My $.02

Ride safe, my friend. And loud too!!

Old 07-07-2012 | 12:41 PM
mdunn
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Good deal.

I'm glad you are on the road to getting what you really want.

FYI: the "new" Samson longtails have removable baffles and tips (these are the ones I have). When you get around to ordering, I do not know if they are much more expensive than the simple un-baffled units, but I recommend getting them if you can. For two reasons: first, if you scrape the tips too badly from all the dragging, you can replace just the tips without replacing the whole pipe, and second, if you get nabbed for sound violation, wrapping the baffles quiets them down considerably (you can even install much longer quiet baffles into the pipes and really quiet them down for the "fix-it test").

My $.02

Ride safe, my friend. And loud too!!
Hi Dave,

Yea I am going to move up to 39"s, time to make raise the bar again. I will look into what you have. Its actually a good idea.

Mike

Old 07-08-2012 | 08:03 AM
mdunn
|
Cruiser

Guys,

I will take $225 for them, plus shipping.

Mike