Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do? Im out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This problem has been there since day one

Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
09streetking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u have wire wheels? Have u had them trued, check the dish of both wheels.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a similar problem and had to compensate by adjusting the track of the rear wheel. When I replaced my rear tire this spring I discovered why I had this issue. My bike has chrome covers on the rear axle. They have a mounting plate that slides over the axle and are sandwiched between the nut and swing arm when everything is tightened up. Well, these plates are almost 1/4" thick! When everything is tightened up, the nut end of the axle has only the threaded portion fitting through the adjusting collar. This is invisible when it's all assembled and accounts for almost 1/8" of variance. I swapped out the covers for a pair that don't mount to the axle and the problem was solved! Check it out.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Deluxe does the same thing and I even shifted my junk to the opposite side and it didn't work either ghost! ROTFLMAO!!

There was a thread like someone else mentioned about this vary thing. It seemed the majority said the rear wheel was out of line. I haven't tried it yet, but that's going to be the first thing I do to try and fix it. It'd be worth experimenting if you've been through all those hoops and no one can help. Seems to make sense...I'm trying to remember but I think it was the if it was pulling/falling left, the right rear adjuster needed adjusting. If I can find the thread I'll come back and post a link.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Deluxe pulls to the left a little too, its interesting that this has come up as its made think about it a little more, I just assumed it was one of those many softail traits, like the bars always being slightly out, even when you straighten them and they keep going back, you'd think with the price these things cost they could get **** like this right.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

if the rear is in alignment, it just might be a bad frt tire. the belts/cords inside may not have been laid correctly.. i see it in cars a good bit. its easy to diag on a cager, cross rotate tires left to right to see if the pull goes the opposite way.. i know ya can't do that on a bike obviously, but try raising or lowering the tire pressure a significant amount to see if it changes the amount of pull. if it does maybe you can talk the dealer into swapping a tire assy from another bike that you know doesn't pull( road test beforehand) and see if thats it.

if you've had it since new and no one can correct the issue, you may still be able to file a lemon law case.. not sure of the time or mileage limitations.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nobody has mentioned a whole bike alignment. Engine/trans alignment could be off. You need some long straight edges to run from the back tire to the front and look for trueness. Some use 8 foot flour bulbs as they are straight and rigid.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

This is not a normal situation, there is something causing it. If the dealer can duplicate the problem and it is deemed abnormal, the bike should not be released back to you until repaired. The dealer may have to call in Harley for direction if they cant fix it. I would follow the suggestion the post from Tracker 56 and also make sure rear shocks have a matched preload setting.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Here's the link NCD'luxe was talkin about. Hope it helps! Good luck.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...eel+adjustment

Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will pull to the left too if I let go of the bars. You'll notice that all is not totally balanced with the engine/frame on these bikes. I'd think the design of the engine and trans and the way it sits in the frame has something to do with it.

Quick Reply: What would you do? Im out of ideas